Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I just took a 300 mile highway trip to Chicago averaging 76MPH. The lieometer says 18.1 MPG, that's up a bit from previous trips. Truck seemed light on its feet too, not much throttle to make passes and such. Maybe it's just me overthinking it, but it genuinely felt better. I'll know more about the smoking when I fire it up next time.

Finally got this done yesterday. Wasn't too bad, got the entire job done in 5 hours. The turbo sounds much better and has it's whistle back. I wonder how long it'll take to burn out the oil in the exhaust tubing. I used copper anti-seize on the vanes, not sure if I was supposed to do that or not. Hoping for the best.

I think my truck took 2 or more days to burn out all the crud in the pipe. It made me worry that I had other problems at first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
You would know by now if you did something wrong like I did. Not sure what happened but I didn't put something together right and destroyed my turbo. I was able to put old parts back in and get it going for now, but I bought a used turbo off someone that I'll swap out soon.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Aw man, that sucks. I was pretty nervous about getting into mine since I've never done it before. I went for a little drive today and it still smokes a little at take off until warm, I was hoping the turbo was the problem, but I guess not.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah not sure what I did wrong. I'm thinking the oil seal didn't go in straight and messed everything up. I wrote more about it in my other post but haven't taken any pictures yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Started my rebuild and turbine shaft swap today. Im putting in the kc turbos drop in 10 blade with a 360 rebuild kit from kc turbo also. After getting it all back together the shaft has some play. I thought it might be the shaft but I took it back apart and put the old bearings in and no play. Any idea if this is normal? It had no play before but Im not sure what is normal.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Started my rebuild and turbine shaft swap today. Im putting in the kc turbos drop in 10 blade with a 360 rebuild kit from kc turbo also. After getting it all back together the shaft has some play. I thought it might be the shaft but I took it back apart and put the old bearings in and no play. Any idea if this is normal? It had no play before but Im not sure what is normal.
can you video how much play you've got?

·
Super Moderator
12,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Does it have in/out play or side/side play?

A small amount of side/side is ok! Remember these use floating bearings, and when new ones are dry, there's no oil to fill the clearance gap between the bearing and the housing. If you have so much side/side play that the compressor wheel touches the compressor housing, that's bad.

In/out play is bad, and usually means there's an issue with the thrust washer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
can you video how much play you've got?
Not anymore I've already got it back apart waiting to see what I need to do. There is not much play just enough to feel when you move it up and down. It's not in and out play. Just want to make sure its right before putting it back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This gave me the confidence to rebuild mt turbo. It was pretty simple. I would be driving it now, but have a fuel leak on supply line after installing blue spring upgrade.
Saved me mucho bucks. Thanks.
FCCLAZ

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is an excellent DIY Turbo rebuild thread, I have a question regarding the rear seal that came in my kit it. I have two different types and am wondering if the gapless one is a new improved version. See picture below. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I'll be going through it in the next month and updating the picture links now that photojunket has become money hungry.
OH MAN THAT'S RIGHT !!!!!

W O W What a bunch of Sh>it that is. There has to be millions and literally millions of people that will never use or endorse that outfit ever again. I truly hope for their demise and hope it's soon.

Sorry to see you having to go through that Nick. If you need any help loading pictures I'm here for you, just a hop skip away ;)

161 - 180 of 209 Posts