Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
california deplorable
10,619 Posts
i was going to say if you need a hand with the senseless mind numbing monotony...

hit up someone else :haha:

no if you need i would be happy to give you a hand :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Advice pleaseeeeeeee
My 2005 F250 creating a which pitch whistle while spooling. Turbo still builds 29psi no problem. I thought it was the bushing in the turbo so I ordered KC's 360 rebuild kit, 10 blade, and cleaned the turbo. Vanes and plate move without issue. Can't seem to figure this one out yet. The sound comes on as the turbo spools and goes away respectively. Sometimes the sound stays on just at idle as well... rarely on deceleration. The only other symptom I have is at WOT, in 3rd or 4th gear the truck does not want to keep high rpms. Meaning as i bang through 1,2, to 4K rpms when i hit 3rd the truck drops down to 1800 rpms and runs from there. I was told this issue could be due to a bad VGT solenoid or MAP sensor and the whistle i hear is all that forced air squeezing through the turbo with closed vanes... After some hard pulls the whistle goes away for a few minutes with normal driving but then comes right back. Start with the solenoid?

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Is the sound loud enough to record and post a video?

I have seen up pipes make some weird noises before.

Does it sound like a metal on metal screech? Or more of an air whistling noise?
What is EBP and VGT duty cycle doing at WOT?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ill have to check the EBP when I get out of work, I can record a video and hear the sound no problem. At first I thought it was a metal on metal sound and so I bought your 360 rebuild kit. after the install it continued to make the same noise. So now im certainly leaning towards a high pitched air sound. @ WOT the truck gets after it through 1, 2, and 3... then she hits 4 and drops the RPMS real low and has to build boost back up. Bought a new VGT solenoid so ill be installing that when im off as well, the pigtail will be here sunday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@peixinho off work finally, how can I post the video(s) to here? Can I just email them your way?

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Is there a new version of this thread with the pictures available?
I know that the OP intends to update the thread after PhotoBucket took a dump on it, but I also know that he hasn't gotten to it yet. There are tons of pics, so it's not so simple of a process.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at this DTR video:

It provides good visual fill-in for what got clobbered here.

I'm also going to attach a good tech guide for the 6.0 turbo. It's not directly related to the cleaning. It's just a good document to have on the virtual shelf.

There's also a TSB on turbo cleaning that has diagrams that may help. I'll add it as an attachment.

Attachments

Reactions: Vhfireman

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
If you use Chrome and Nick hasn't deleted his Photobucket account or pics yet, you can get the PB extension and see the pics on a PC.

Reactions: Vhfireman

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Stupid Photobucket!!! I would have upgraded my account if they would have given me the option. They ended up deleting 1000s of my pictures, most of which were linked to write ups on forums.

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
it should be a crime what they did to the internet and peoples trust in them
Agreed!

Seems I was one of the first to get screwed. When it happened to me everyone else was still fine. I contacted them and asked for help and they said it was a "1 in a billion" error that happened to me and there was no way to fix it. I offered to pay whatever fee needed, I would sign up for the highest subscription they had. Sadly I was dumb enough to use them as my primary storage for a lot of pictures.

Now months later EVERYONE is having problems... but many of them had the chance to pay for their pics and/or get them offline before their accounts went "bye bye". NOT ME... one day I woke up and ALL MY PICS were GONE!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Post Deleted by User.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a thanks to all of you who post here. As one component of a much larger 6.0 project, rebuilt the stock turbo and added a 10 blade wheel. Many of your tips and "watch out for's" were extremely helpful in getting the entire project complete and back on the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Project complete

I had my turbine wheel and shaft professionally cleaned up, they put the new bearing and billet wheel on the shaft and balanced it for me. It was worth the 50 bucks just to have them bead blast it for me!

They gave me some general break in instructions for a rebuilt turbo. One of the things is to crank/no start the truck for 10-15 seconds, 3-5 times. I’m assuming this it to ensure it gets all oiled up before it starts spooling up. Any of you pro’s have an opinion on this?

FYI for you folks in MN or western WI, Midwest turbo connection in Hudson supplied me with a 360 rebuild kit, billet wheel, balanced the shaft assembly, and supplied a used unison ring in perfect condition for under $500.00. I dropped parts off and picked them up so there were no shipping charges.

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
at 500.00 for a DIY recon i would be thinking of a brand new Garrett 6.0 OEM VGT for 770.00 free shipping no core that comes with installation hardware and a brand new VGT actuator

then selling my old unit for 250.00

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does that include an upgraded compressor wheel?

The compressor wheel was 225. Unison ring was 60.... so really the rebuild was quite a bit less.

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
no upgrades at all just all new parts and the time tested OEM wheel
I was not faulting you

but just saying "i " would probably skip the wheel and 360 bearing and go all new for close to the same money

or more likely I would see my local guy
KC Turbo's but i am sure I won't walk out only $770.00 lighter lol

181 - 200 of 209 Posts