Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still fairly new to these trucks, not new to modifying cars or aftermarket parts.

I just installed Recon clear mirror lenses on my 06 F350. They looked basically identical to the factory parts on the bench, but once installed it's clear they fit like garbage. I had searched and read of some issues beforehand, but I really didn't expect to see much more than the typical "aftermarket is similar but not exact" situation -- I'm a little disappointed. They look good from a few feet away and work well, but the fitment quality just isn't there.

Is this just to be expected with these lights? I'm assuming I didn't incorrectly install them -- is there a fix, or is it not worth the trouble? I can't find anyone else who makes these so I'm assuming it's these or nothing.

Adam

2,850 Posts
Ive also heard they don't fit right and thats the reason Im not getting them. You can try to put a bead of silicone around them to help hold them on. That should also help stop the whistle that you will most likely hear while driving.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive also heard they don't fit right and thats the reason Im not getting them. You can try to put a bead of silicone around them to help hold them on. That should also help stop the whistle that you will most likely hear while driving.
I don't hear any whisteling fortunately. I spent a little time looking them over and it seems that the problem is with one of the "butterfly" clamps on the back, they seem to be positioned incorrectly. They are held in there plenty tight, just positioned incorrectly.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
The Recon mirror lights just don't cut it. I saw a set on a buddy's truck and told myself I wouldn't buy any for the price they were asking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
have the smoked. the passenger side fit perfect but the drivers side sticks out at the bottom corner about an 1/8 inch. i love them and they look great. mine only whistle if i have my mirrors extended out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Anybody got any pictures of how back the fit is? I am going to be ordering some recon stuff this week and now Im thinking twice about it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a look at the Putco mirror lenses. I've got them on my 08 mirrors and they fit pretty good :thumb:
I wasn't aware they also made a replacement lens. I wish I had known before.

Anyone have these on their 99-07 style mirrors? I'd like to know how they fit?

Adam

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have them on my truck, smoked style. They both fit decently, not as smooth as the stock lenses but no where near horrible either. I'm just glad they don't catch the wind and make that horrible whistling noise that others complain about.

If you're not set on using clear lenses then you could always just use some VHT NiteShade or hobby paint with some clear and tint them. That's if you just wanna different look and not set on the clear style.

Sucks you're having problems bud, my recon 3rd brake light had all but one row of LEDs go out with in a 14 months. They wouldn't do anything for me so I waited until I found a set on here for cheap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what are you doing with your amber lenses? my current ones are cracked and i can't find replacements

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any pictures of the Putco lenses installed? I may switch if they look ok -- the website picture made them look funny???

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts