Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

What are your recommendations on parameters to routinely monitor? I already have the EOT, ECT, IAT, TFT, FICM Voltage, and the obvious RPM. What else are you monitoring?

Is there an EGR temp, exhaust gas temp? Or are these parameters you need to add sensors for?

"Insights" welcomed.

Stan

· Premium Member
4,969 Posts
CTS or CTS2? I have the CTS2 and I always have it on the 12 PID display. Mine is laid out as follows:

Left column
ECT
EOT
TFT
EGT

Middle column
EBP
MAP
FUEL PSI
VGT%

Right colum
BATTERY V
FICM MAIN V
IPR%
ICP

Sometimes, if i'm checking something, I trade ICP V for MAP.

-jokester

Reactions: Fonger

· Registered
2,176 Posts
CTS or CTS2? I have the CTS2 and I always have it on the 12 PID display. Mine is laid out as follows:

Left column
ECT
EOT
TFT
EGT

Middle column
EBP
MAP
FUEL PSI
VGT%

Right colum
BATTERY V
FICM MAIN V
IPR%
ICP

Sometimes, if i'm checking something, I trade ICP V for MAP.

-jokester
You can get ICP volts with the edge stuff? I might have to get a CTS3 if it can do it too

· Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Sw
Thanks. I have the CTS3. Please help me with the terminology:

MAP?
FUEL PSI (Did not know fuel pressure was available as a standard parameter?)
MAP is manifold absolute pressure...the pressure inside the intake manifold. You are correct - fuel pressure is not monitored by the PCM and you need an aftermarket sensor for that. I have the Edge EAS system as well, and I added a pressure gauge through that system. Same with my EGT Pyro.

Font Gas Display device Auto part Electronic device

-jokester

· Registered
06 F250
62 Posts
What I run on mine. EGT and Fuel pressure are Edge add-on sensors. Everything else comes out of the PCM.

APP is accelerator pedal position. Not really needed, just kinda cool to see how far you're pushing down the pedal. Once I get my coolant pressure sensor set up, it's going in that spot.

Wish I could monitor FSS (fan speed) and IAT2 but for some reason the CTS doesn't have that built in and you can't add custom parameters...

Most of them are setup with the 2-stage alarm. Value turns yellow for stage 1, turns red and beeps for stage 2. For example fuel pressure goes yellow at 50psi. Red at 45psi.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Good suggestions. Has anyone put alerts on any of these and if so, suggested ranges?

ECT: Alert at xxx Danger at YYY
EOT: Alert at xxx Danger at YYY
FICM Voltage: Typical voltage is 48. Too low would be???
ICP range?

Fuel pressure? My local diesel mechanic, from his experiences, would expect the FCM to degrade over time with the fuel pressure dropping as a result. Thought you would see a drop in performance long before a total failure, but then again, lots of things can cause a drop in performance:)

Not quite sure how to interpret the VGT%? I assume there would be a correlation between that parameter and the manifold pressure?

Figure as long as I am going to start monitoring these values, might as well have a better understanding of what is good vs bad.

· Registered
06 F250
62 Posts
Thanks! Good suggestions. Has anyone put alerts on any of these and if so, suggested ranges?

ECT: Alert at xxx Danger at YYY
EOT: Alert at xxx Danger at YYY
FICM Voltage: Typical voltage is 48. Too low would be???
ICP range?

Fuel pressure? My local diesel mechanic, from his experiences, would expect the FCM to degrade over time with the fuel pressure dropping as a result. Thought you would see a drop in performance long before a total failure, but then again, lots of things can cause a drop in performance:)

Not quite sure how to interpret the VGT%? I assume there would be a correlation between that parameter and the manifold pressure?

Figure as long as I am going to start monitoring these values, might as well have a better understanding of what is good vs bad.
ECT Alert 220F Danger 228F (224F is the highest I've seen)
EOT Alert 235F Danger 245F (240F is the highest I've seen)
TFT I can't remember. The stock gauge doesn't move until 230F and I've never seen it get over 190 so I rarely worry about that one
FICM Alert 46.5V Danger at 45.0
Fuel Pressure Alert 48.0 Danger 45.0
EGT Alert 1300 Danger 1350

Battery Alert 12.4V Danger 11.7V. It shows 11.9 when truck starts cold until the glow plugs turn off, however actual battery voltage is about 0.5 higher, hence the low danger setting.

ICP You don't need alarms. The truck won't start until the ICP gets over 500psi. Can range up to almost 4000psi at WOT. Hot idle should be around 580psi.

VGT goes between 85% (full closed) and I believe 15% (full open). Not really much to see there, but it can help you diagnose issues and you could quickly catch sticking vanes in the turbo. Should almost never see 85%. Hot idle should be around 70-75% a 2.4EBP (if reading gauge pressure, absolute you add the atmopsheric pressure). Driving it goes all over the place.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ECT Alert 220F Danger 228F (224F is the highest I've seen)
EOT Alert 235F Danger 245F (240F is the highest I've seen)
TFT I can't remember. The stock gauge doesn't move until 230F and I've never seen it get over 190 so I rarely worry about that one
FICM Alert 46.5V Danger at 45.0
Fuel Pressure Alert 48.0 Danger 45.0
EGT Alert 1300 Danger 1350

Battery Alert 12.4V Danger 11.7V. It shows 11.9 when truck starts cold until the glow plugs turn off, however actual battery voltage is about 0.5 higher, hence the low danger setting.

ICP You don't need alarms. The truck won't start until the ICP gets over 500psi. Can range up to almost 4000psi at WOT. Hot idle should be around 580psi.

VGT goes between 85% (full closed) and I believe 15% (full open). Not really much to see there, but it can help you diagnose issues and you could quickly catch sticking vanes in the turbo. Should almost never see 85%. Hot idle should be around 70-75% a 2.4EBP (if reading gauge pressure, absolute you add the atmopsheric pressure). Driving it goes all over the place.
Excellent feedback! Thanks! I will be tweaking my settings on the Insight Edge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts