Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2017 I purchased a toy hauler and had 290K on my 2005 King Ranch. I didnt want to have any issues so I purchased the BulletProof Diesel Kit with ARP studs and Billet H2O pump. I am local in Orlando, FL and called this number to a guy (i forget his name), who was the recommended guy here in Orlando to do the bulletproofing. However, another guy / shop answered and told me that the guy has moved and has fwd'd his calls or gave them his number, because they were friends .....or some thing... I cannot remember what was said. So he invited me to come look a their shop and see if I wanted them to do the job. They had an in house machine shop so, I was SOLD. Also in installing the parts on to the truck I told them to go over everything to make sure I wont have any problems in the future. So they pressure tested,0 Resurfaced the heads, did a valve job, installed 32 valve guide liners and honed to fit.

Fast foward it is now 2020, and it seems that I need to do this job again. I am getting coolant puking out of my degas bottle. Spoke to "said shop", they did the chemical test and they said they can find nothing wrong with the truck. 2 weeks later, puking coolant again outta the cap. Drop it off at "said shop" and they said that they need to pull my heads off because i must have a minor leak, that will just get worse. They said for $12K they will fix this problem. WTF I think.. $12K !!!! i just spent over $7K (I included most of the other parts to do the bullet proof!) I felt sick....

whats included in this $12K? well let me first start by telling you what I got in the truck. KC stage 2 turbo, Warren Diesel rebuilt Injectors, Banks exhaust, banks high ram and cold side IC pipe, Sinster Hot side IC pipe, Mishimoto IC, SCT Livewire with Warren Diesel custom tunes, Bulletproof FICM. Recent XDP Fuel bowl delete, and regulated fuel return, Fass Fuel Ti.

So they said that my truck was different and didnt leave their shop like this. So the things I did change was my KC stage 2 turbo. They put in the KC S2r, but that went bad and KC was awesome enough to send me the S2. And in that S2R going bad, I decided to change my IC and went Mishimoto and also changed my K&N filter. And recently I did the XDP fuel bowl delete and Reg fuel return. And this was the cause of my problems. So "said shop" wants to change out my injectors, put a stock turbo, go with an Edge tuner, and potentially rebuild or do something with my heads. He said the Custom Tune was Garbage and so was the injector rebuild.

Keep in mind, since I had my bullet proofing done, I have maybe taken my Toy Hauler out 3 times. And I dont run my truck hard nor has it ever over heated. What is everyones towing temps for Coolant and Oil? Since I have the remote Oil cooler is the difference in temps critical?

So with that whole craziness going on, thanks for letting me vent I am going to send my truck to my trusted mechanic in Dunnellon, FL and he is going to do my head gasket and get my heads retested.

So should I have an issue with my heads, who do you guys recommend as far as aftermarket heads? My truck now has 310K miles and it is my daily driver and I want to have a good reliable tow vehicle as well. It being fun and peppy would be an added bonus.

Thanks for reading and the suggestions.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
569 Posts
Following. You're in my neck of the woods and interested in the mechanic in Dunnellon. Please keep this thread updated!

Reactions: gitnmybelly

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Recommend you make your own Pressure gauge to tee into the coolant system and take it for a drive. Vent it once warmed up, and then go for a drive and do some WOT runs. If the gaskets are bad, they will go up to 16 PSI quick, and if slowly rises above 16 PSI, points to EGR.

I have the BPD air cooled color and when I had the stock fan clutch, I'd see ECT's of around 200, and EOT of 210 when cruising on the highway in summer, in spring EOT of 195, and AZ winter EOT was as low as 165. Critical temps are still the same, but no deltas. If I am pushing it hard and the fan does not kick in like an jet engine at ECT of 220, and bring it down, I get worried. For EOT, it will defuel at an EOT of 254, but I've not seen that. Pushing it hard up a hill whenI see 220 ECT, EOT will max out at 238 and then go down when the fan is kicked on.

I now have the mechanical clutch for the 7.3, so temps are different, and more steady around 200 each.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I would find another shop. Anyone that won't stand behind their work because "it was different when it left our shop" I wouldn't trust, especially if they installed the turbo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recommend you make your own Pressure gauge to tee into the coolant system and take it for a drive. Vent it once warmed up, and then go for a drive and do some WOT runs. If the gaskets are bad, they will go up to 16 PSI quick, and if slowly rises above 16 PSI, points to EGR.

I have the BPD air cooled color and when I had the stock fan clutch, I'd see ECT's of around 200, and EOT of 210 when cruising on the highway in summer, in spring EOT of 195, and AZ winter EOT was as low as 165. Critical temps are still the same, but no deltas. If I am pushing it hard and the fan does not kick in like an jet engine at ECT of 220, and bring it down, I get worried. For EOT, it will defuel at an EOT of 254, but I've not seen that. Pushing it hard up a hill whenI see 220 ECT, EOT will max out at 238 and then go down when the fan is kicked on.

I now have the mechanical clutch for the 7.3, so temps are different, and more steady around 200 each.
I have Deleted my EGR.

I have installed a gauge on my mishimoto degas bottle and pressure steadily goes up when it gets over 200 ECT. When It 210 i feel like that when I reach that 16 psi venting. My EOT can sometimes range 15 - 20 degrees different, but a lot of times its around 10 degrees different. I havent really tested the WOT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would find another shop. Anyone that won't stand behind their work because "it was different when it left our shop" I wouldn't trust, especially if they installed the turbo.
Well after my KC S2r took a dump, I installed the new KC S2, mishimoto IC, and piping. (I can do most of my mechanical work, minus lifting the cab to do the heads).

Yeah that is why I am going back to my guy, 100 miles away from where I live, because I feel more comfortable with his recommendations. If he would tell me that I would need to spend that same $12k I would feel better about it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
12k is ridiculously high. When I was pricing getting "bulletproofing" done on my 6.0 almost every shop was at 5-6k for studs, EGR, updating the dummy plugs and standpipes I believe. I'm not entirely sure about what machine work was involved in those quotes on the heads but that was also almost 6 years ago.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12k is ridiculously high. When I was pricing getting "bulletproofing" done on my 6.0 almost every shop was at 5-6k for studs, EGR, updating the dummy plugs and standpipes I believe. I'm not entirely sure about what machine work was involved in those quotes on the heads but that was also almost 6 years ago.
Tell me about it. I am assuming it was gonna include new heads, new injectors, new stock turbo, Edge Tuner, custom tune. But I was like Damn! Im going to find another option, I just spent $7K with you 2 years ago.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe they quoted me 8k for all of it if I needed new heads but like I said I can't remember it all exactly.

·
Administrator
21,896 Posts
They are pricing themselves out of the job.
Time to move on.

I know we fast forwarded to 2020, but why, a little puking isnt a blown truck.
I would do a lot of tests before popping the heads off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are pricing themselves out of the job.
Time to move on.

I know we fast forwarded to 2020, but why, a little puking isnt a blown truck.
I would do a lot of tests before popping the heads off.
Yeah they sure did. What other tests should be run? I am sure my other mechanic will test things out. Like I said, they also have an inhouse machine shop. During the first time they had my truck to install my parts, I asked them to do anything that needed to be done. When my truck started puking coolant out the cap, I took it back, and had them check it. Sent me back my truck and said they drove it and did some chemical test and they couldnt "recreate" the puking coolant (they had my truck for over a week). So I told them I dont have a problem when I just drive around town. It happens when I put the truck under a load or pull a trailer and even happened one day at the beach not pulling, but it was a hot day at the beach. So I got it to puke again and then dropped it off again, and after about a week, they said that i must have a small leak that only happens when the truck is under a load or its hot. and I will need to get the truck fixed before it leaves me stranded. and that will be $12K. I was like whyyyyyy! and thats when he gave me the list of stuff hes gonna change. Again blaming it on the Turbo that I replaced (basically the same turbo) and the other parts I put on. Intercooler, Regulated fuel return and fuel bowl delete.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well he also was gonna change back to a stock turbo, new injectors, new heads (im guessing), tuner and custom tune

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
have installed a gauge on my mishimoto degas bottle and pressure steadily goes up when it gets over 200 ECT. When It 210 i feel like that when I reach that 16 psi venting. My EOT can sometimes range 15 - 20 degrees different, but a lot of times its around 10 degrees different. I havent really tested the WOT.

When I measured mine, I vented the degas bottle once warmed up which had 10 PSI, and drove it. Only built 3 PSI. I drove it hard up a hill and it only reached 6 PSI. I was also towing a 12 k trailer. I felt comfortable my truck was fine. I feel the key to the test is venting the degas bottle once warmed up. That way you're only measuring the thermal expansion and if it gets close to 16 PSI, points to heads if quick and EGR if slow. You don't have an EGR, so it would point to heads.

Still, its not a 100% conclusive, but the quicker it rises, the more conclusive it is.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
$12K!! Good Lord, Jandice. You can buy a friggin' reman'd studded long block with a lot of bells and whistles for $9K from Asheville Engines!

Agreed about pricing themselves out of a job...

-jokester

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$12K!! Good Lord, Jandice. You can buy a friggin' reman'd studded long block with a lot of bells and whistles for $9K from Asheville Engines!

Agreed about pricing themselves out of a job...

-jokester
Yeah I agree. Thanks Jokester00. I will check them out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is killdevil still making heads? I put them on mine when I did all my work a few years ago and have had no problems. I got to where I stopped looking at my gauges. When I towed heavy up monteagle i would see 230 eot but it would cool right back off. Factory oil cooler 7.3 fan clutch

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,257 Posts
Still making them:

What head gaskets did you use?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is killdevil still making heads? I put them on mine when I did all my work a few years ago and have had no problems. I got to where I stopped looking at my gauges. When I towed heavy up monteagle i would see 230 eot but it would cool right back off. Factory oil cooler 7.3 fan clutch
View attachment 769256
I am going to have to check them out. I see they have posted on this thread.. Thank you for your input. Sweet rig you got there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still making them:

What head gaskets did you use?
Whatever head gaskets come with the Bullet Proof Diesel Kit. If one didnt come with it, then I am sure they went with the factory Ford.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts