Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's the situation as short as possible. I bought an 06 F350 CC LB king ranch(all stock) 2 months ago and egr got clogged which led to usual problems from the 6.0. Not having the money right now I have 2 options because I need my truck asap.

1. Get a personal loan and get my current truck bullet proofed.

2. Trade that truck in for exactly what I paid and get a 2006 Amarillo edition F250 with a sunroof, 4.5 inch lift, 37" nitto terra grapplers, 20" incubus rims, the fender flares I want, an AFE cai, stainless hoses, a 4inch exhaust, and some sort of what I assume is an upgraded turbo not sure though but its definitely not stock. Not sure how to check it for studs at the dealership or when/if the oil cooler was replaced or rebuilt. This truck would be about 2k more than my current loan but I'm nervous about not knowing exactly what or when work was done to it. (CC SB)

My thoughts: I love my current truck being King Ranch and all but the blazin yellow of the amarillo is pretty cool. Financially it seems to be smarter to go with the working truck that has all of the adds already but I don't like not knowing exactly what was done to it.

All opinions welcome.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Sounds like you already made up your mind. I would mention here, debt is America's biggest problem and if you can't afford to fix it taking a loan to fix it really isn't the answer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Sounds like you already made up your mind. I would mention here debt is America's biggest problem and if yoyo can't afford to fix it taking a lone to fix it really isn't the answer.

I agree, but will add, why do you think you need a daily driver that you could hardly afford with 37" tires?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
It takes about $250-275 every time I fill up. Sometimes I fill up 4-6 times a week when I travel. I do hold 80gal though. There is nothing inexpensive about our trucks. Sometimes the best answer is a f150. If you do get it make sure you have the extended warranty. Heads are expensive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would get the personal loan and get your truck bulletproofed. Without knowing more details about the other truck, you could find yourself needing to do the same repairs to that one. You also have to consider the price of a set of 37" tires and the added wear those tires are going to have on your ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Then of course there is always fuel mileage. I used to have a 6" lift with 37" tires and just recently went back to stock, I find myself visiting the pump a whole lot less often than before. I know nobody likes to be in debt, but at least then you would have a truck with all the common 6.0 big dollar repairs done and after you get the loan payed off you can work on getting those fender flares you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can afford the gas mileage difference with the tires just dont have the $3000 or so to bulletproof it right now. If I did get the loan I wouldn't have a problem paying it off due to overtime/extra jobs I could pick up being in law enforcement. Also the main reason I can't decide is that I'm already attached to my current truck but its more logical to go with the amarillo due to everything it already has.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Again it sounds like you have already made up your mind. It's easy to find out if it has studs in it and just buy a CTS and take the new one for a test drive and you will see the deltas and most of the other signs pointing to issues.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If it has studs, you can see them at the bottom edge of the rocker box. It will be a stud and nut vs a bolt head.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,643 Posts
You don't need the BulletProof oil cooler to have a reliable engine. The BPD EGR cooler is pretty much a necessity (IMO) on the 05 and up model years, but maintain your coolant system (and yes a filter helps) and the OEM oil cooler is fine.

Do take care of the STC fitting and original dummy plugs and standpipes if they are still installed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I read it correctly, you can either get a loan of $3,000 and go through your truck that has a pretty solid maintenance history. Or you can add another $2,000 to your existing truck loan and get a truck that has had all kinds of aftermarket work done to it with an unknown maintenance history, that in a few months you might be looking at having to also get a loan of $3,000 to through the truck.

Based on the original post only, I'd spend the $3,000 on your existing truck.

Maybe its just me, but I typically shy away from vehicles that have been heavily modified because you never know what somebody did with them. Did they put the big lift and big tires on it just to sit in the driveway and look pretty? Or were they out in the mudpits tearing it up?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would also like to add, my truck needs some issues fixed, my point being, I will not be spending 3k to "bullet proof" it. I will spend what is necessary, to address the well known and documented issues with the truck. Just spent $115, and $54 on coolant filter and fpr.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Bullet proofing will cost you more than 3k. more like 5-6k if you have someone else do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the truck in question for a test drive but didn't notice that it had a bullydog monitor in the driver side glove box until afterwards but I can take another drive monday. What numbers should I be looking for?

@cheesy I honestly don't have a real history of maintenance on either vehicle as I was a noob and just found out about an oasis report.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,643 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy anything that had a bullydog on it. Too many poeple with issues that have had them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@cheesy I honestly don't have a real history of maintenance on either vehicle as I was a noob and just found out about an oasis report.
Sorry about that, read too many posts this morning, there was another one that the guy had every maintenance record ever done on his truck, I got confused.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
I have always had bullydog programmer on mine and it has been doing ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm guessing he had a SCT tuner and just the bullydog monitor but I'm only basing that on the fact that an SCT emblem is on the tailgate lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
If I read it correctly, you can either get a loan of $3,000 and go through your truck that has a pretty solid maintenance history. Or you can add another $2,000 to your existing truck loan and get a truck that has had all kinds of aftermarket work done to it with an unknown maintenance history, that in a few months you might be looking at having to also get a loan of $3,000 to through the truck.

Based on the original post only, I'd spend the $3,000 on your existing truck.

Maybe its just me, but I typically shy away from vehicles that have been heavily modified because you never know what somebody did with them. Did they put the big lift and big tires on it just to sit in the driveway and look pretty? Or were they out in the mudpits tearing it up?

This is it right here. You know what is wrong with the truck you have but you don't know much about the Amarillo. I think you ought to fix what you have and do it without taking out a loan. Park it until you can work those extra shifts to bankroll your upgrades.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Even if the new one does have studs doesn't mean that it was done right and that it won't give you issues down the road. I got a buddy who bought a 6.0, we found the head gaskets popped, I noticed it had studs in it and figured that it had the black onyx gaskets. We took it apart and found that someone had had a set of fire rings installed in the head and the installer butchered them up. Long story short it had studs and he still had to buy a new set of heads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts