Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this recall done on there 08? i called to make an appt and to see what i was looking at, he told me it is a re-flash but it also will have a better problem detection. He told me after the reflash or update the wrench light may come on alerting me to a problem, ANy one do this recall and have a problem after. They are tell me its a must and to do it soon. I'm not to worried about major problem because i still have some warranty left. But he did tell me the problems they are having after the PCM is updated is stuff NOT covered un warranty And he mentioned the sensor in the Water sep.
I'll let you all know what happens next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had it done a week ago...Towed 10,000 lb travel trailer and the wrench light came on...never seen this before. Made an appointment to have 08 truck looked at tomorrow at dealership...will advise when I find out tomorrow. The interesting thing was the wrench came on about 20-30 minutes into the trip. It didn't come on when I was driving without the trailer.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
what temps did they monitor at?
the old ones were up in the 250s...plus i have not gotten this recall

·
Registered
341 Posts
what temps did they monitor at?
the old ones were up in the 250s...plus i have not gotten this recall
I have not yet recieved the recall either.

How does a reflash of the PCM work when the truck is tuned? I assume I would have to put it back to the stock tune before taking it in. I am not worried about warranty (my truck is no longer under warranty) just not sure I want to go to the trouble of putting it back stock for the reflash. Also wouldn't that reflash simply be undone as soon as I got home and put a tune back on the truck?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions but I still do not really understand exactly what is being done when we "tune" our trucks.

Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service guy did mention it updates or monitors the H2o temps better, and fuel system, and water sep. along with other items I can't recall. I'm scheduled for Monday. He did also mention the wrench light may or may not come on. From what he's seen so far, It will, Than you have to bring it back, to see what the problem is. At a cost i'm sure. Don't have much choice or your warranty is prolly void if you don't bring it back in, It could be major it may not be

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
that is really terrible because if the wrench light comes on more than it must be set too low that it is always being triggered...sounds somewhat like a money making idea to me, lets set the temp monitors to alarm and throw a code at something that is commonly hit. that way they need to come in and we can make them put in all new stuff at a price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had a call from the dealer. They want to keep the truck overnight and check it in the morning. It had two codes in it and they think its the oil cooler. They told me its a 4-5 day job to replace as it is a cab off job. Luckily the oil cooler is covered under powertrain warranty. They will confirm this in the morning and I will keep everybody updated...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
had the reflash done today. didn't drive it much. seemed sluggish actually. I'll haul a load tomorrow and see how it does. there's also a recall on a fuel tank stopper or something. seems like there's less rattling going on in the rear end/bed over bumps.

1,023 Posts
I have not yet recieved the recall either.

How does a reflash of the PCM work when the truck is tuned? I assume I would have to put it back to the stock tune before taking it in. I am not worried about warranty (my truck is no longer under warranty) just not sure I want to go to the trouble of putting it back stock for the reflash. Also wouldn't that reflash simply be undone as soon as I got home and put a tune back on the truck?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions but I still do not really understand exactly what is being done when we "tune" our trucks.

Steve
You dont want to go in guns hot with a tune in a 6.4, your going to take the chip/programmer/tuner out drive it a week before you bring it in. Really you want to keep it stock i found out first hand what happens when a tuned rig comes in....

Lets just say it over wrote his tune and when he got it back he was upset because he couldnt go and retrieve it. whatever money he spent on it just went out the window. And some how that was my fault....:hehe:

That was only 1 tuned truck but i will say this though, the 6.4 after the reflash has been performed alot of customers come back upset they got less MPG, Less power, cleaning exhaust was more frequent, so on so forth.

1,023 Posts
that is really terrible because if the wrench light comes on more than it must be set too low that it is always being triggered...sounds somewhat like a money making idea to me, lets set the temp monitors to alarm and throw a code at something that is commonly hit. that way they need to come in and we can make them put in all new stuff at a price.
No its not a gimmick. You have NO idea how many short blocks ive done in these engines due to higher temp failures and im not talking a slightly melted piston im talkin PISTON gone wrist pin and connecting rod only remaining in the hole.

You dont ever want my opinion on the engine, I despise of them. I can rant for hours on them and why they should be bought back by ford or repowered by a 6.7 I know one thing if i had bought one and it left me on the side of the road and i found out it wouldnt be done for a while because theres literally dozens more of them at the dealership waiting ahead of mine, id cancel the insurance, yank the plates off, and tell ford they just bought it. Unless it was something I INTENTIONALLY DID.

Its not just oil and coolant temps, it also monitors your WIF sensor closely. It is monitoring things to PREVENT you from Wiping out an EGR cooler, melting down a piston, clog up a DPF, or wipe out your High Pressure Fuel System.

When ive seen more 250-550 cabs up in trucks that are WORKED for thier intended purposes perfectly maintained and engines being yanked... I guess ford sorta woke up and decided if they derated the engine at higher temps or if the water in fuel sensor reads slightly out of whack, in other words, ford not only lost money on this engine, their customers lost money on this engine, People not able to use them for work and pay the truck off. Theyre just trying to keep this platform from costing YOU time and when your warranty is up MONEY along with thier MONEY.

Just hope they redesign the radiators for a permanent fix. im getting tired fast of doing radiators and front covers. There could be a 100 other things id rather do but cant because the 6.4s have priority.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, just got back from the dealership and talked to the diesel mechanic (luckily I know the mechanic) my oil cooler needs replacing. He showed me the computer printout of the temperatures and everything else at the precise moment the wrench light came on. I also told him about a oil leak between the motor and transmission. He said it is probably the bed plate and that he will fix that while he does the oil cooler as they are both cab off jobs....My advice to everyone is get the update done ASAP. I would not have known I had a problem until it was too late. The good thing is all of this is under warranty.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Okay, just got back from the dealership and talked to the diesel mechanic (luckily I know the mechanic) my oil cooler needs replacing. He showed me the computer printout of the temperatures and everything else at the precise moment the wrench light came on. I also told him about a oil leak between the motor and transmission. He said it is probably the bed plate and that he will fix that while he does the oil cooler as they are both cab off jobs....My advice to everyone is get the update done ASAP. I would not have known I had a problem until it was too late. The good thing is all of this is under warranty.
whats the bed plate? i noticed mine is leaking too when i changed the oil the other day in between the motor and the trans. do u know if its covered under the 5 yr/ 100 k mile warranty?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
very lite load today. noticed better shifting under 2k rpm under regular driving conditions. should be better on fuel economy. injectors have been getting really loud so put in 8 oz of cetane booster and made a huge difference. wanted to calculate the difference in fuel mileage without the additive after the flash. dunno if the cetane booster makes a difference in economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I don't know what the actual bed plate is...Mine is covered under the 5yr/100k warranty. I was told that the 5ry warranty (powertrain) is sortof anything that gets touched by oil is covered.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
so basically i should detune the truck about a week or two before taking it in. then take it in and then what? i would have to have the tuning company make it so their tune monitors everything that the reflash does but that is easier said than done. i dont mind driving stock but with the tune the gas mileage is sooooo much better.

1,023 Posts
Sorry I don't know what the actual bed plate is...Mine is covered under the 5yr/100k warranty. I was told that the 5ry warranty (powertrain) is sortof anything that gets touched by oil is covered.
Bed plates are a MOTHER F#CKER! is what they are! Okay you have according to ford parts dept an upper and lower oil pan, your upper pan, is what the actual oil pan mounts to thats your bed plate, think of the bed plate as a baffle/girdle. It is the middle man between the engine block and the oil pan. And they suck.

1,023 Posts
no. Power train warranty covers base engine and transmission concerns. Does not cover front covers and oil touches them, you get 3yrs 36k on a front cover same with a radiator and thermostats. bed plates, ive done them in cab on trucks that were like U hauls. they suck. actually theyre faster for me to do in cab since ive done so many of them where i couldnt pull the cab.

They use a pathetically narrow small rubber gasket. 6.0s use the same concept.

As for the tuned truck, update your chip with latest update and should be fine to upload after fords upload went through. But make sure you remove it completely otherwise you wont be able to retrieve it and you will lose it...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What id like to know is that wouldn't it be a waste of time and money for me to get the reflash when my truck is tuned anyhow. I mean the second I retune the truck I would lose the new settings and monitoring anyways. I mean the next time I take the tune off or take the truck in I'm sure they would do it but I just mean do I really need to be worried if I'm going to retune it anyway and lose all of that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts