Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear window struts have now worn out....was wondering if anyone has had good luck with after market or do u use OEM.
Can u provide part #s of either.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Little tip, if your a 4wd, go to the dealer, or parts store, and get the ones for 2wd. 1.5 inches longer, so it will hold the window up a lil higher.

·
Registered
280 Posts
be careful what you get, they may be the same length but there are different force ratings, check yours and try to get the same lb rating.
I had to replace the ones on my shell window, parts stores stock the length, but they were 90lb rated, originals were 45 lbs. was told too high a rating can break the glass.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
be careful what you get, they may be the same length but there are different force ratings, check yours and try to get the same lb rating.
I had to replace the ones on my shell window, parts stores stock the length, but they were 90lb rated, originals were 45 lbs. was told too high a rating can break the glass.
Be careful. Closing the top before the right door will also break the glass. Don't ask me how I know. :doh: ($350 later, and the wife full of apologies)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
What's involved in replacing these? Mine are shot as well. Ive never had to change these type struts and was wondering how difficult it was.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
real easy took 5 min....theres a fastening tab at each end of the strut...just pry back with a small flat head screw driver....pull off & replace. :thumb:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good tip on the 2wd struts for sure

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you get onto Advance Auto Parts website, order the Lift Supports.

Enter code EM25 and you get $20 Off any order of $50 or more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just replaced rear glass door struts on my wife's Excursion. They were purchased from liftsupportsdepot.com and they are the model # 4139. Before install, the rear window door raised to 72inches and now it raises to 76inches. My wife is 5'4" and is still able to reach the handle to get the window door closed. These are heavy duty and have a lift force of 142 lbs. This rear gate is Heavy. Very Happy with purchase of $16.00 each. Our X is a 4 wheel drive and the 4139's are for 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
386 Posts
FYI have a pair of vise grips handy if shocks r worn out that rear gate is extremely heavy !!! A 2 by 4 under door sitting on top of hitch works too !! I put the 2wd on mine and no more hitting my head on the damn thing but wife cannot hardly reach it now but its my bus so oh well

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree. Best money I think I've spent on her. No more hitting my head. Wife is 5'6", and she handles it just fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got a pair of the 2wd off ebay for around $20 I think it was. They work fine. Don't know about longevity though. Be careful. The install is easy enough, there's just little clips that pop off with a flat head screwdriver, but that hatch is about 20x heavier than you'd think. So use caution when you take that last strut off, it the hatch slams shut it could easily break a hand. So nice to have it lift all the way out of the way now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts