Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an 03 6.0 and his CEL came on. He took it to the dealer and they told him his "rear turbo tubes" are cracked. I've never heard of these. I'm thinking he is referring to the y-pipe flex sections. Any how, how hard is it to replace this? They told him $1,000 for parts and labor.

What all is involved in this r&r?

I'm thinking it would be similar, but a bit more complicated, than doing an EGR delete? Remove everything down to and including intake?

·
Registered
123 Posts
No need to take all that off. Drop the downpipe and remove a fender liner if you need it for access. With the fender liners out the rear pipes aren't that bad to access.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
the bellows are probably cracked. you could just pull the pipe off and have a muffler shop weld in a straight pipe

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bellows are probably cracked. you could just pull the pipe off and have a muffler shop weld in a straight pipe
Oh ok, but they are reffering to the y-pipe right?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Oh ok, but they are reffering to the y-pipe right?
yeah i would imagine, theres nothing elso turbo related in the back. y pipe and up pipe coming of the manifold.

if its cracked you could see soot on the firewall. good indicator that its cracked. my firewall is straight black :hehe:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
yeah we did that on my buddies truck actually. after the 2nd one failing with the bellow still in there

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
lol mine sees that sometimes too.....how do you get that out of there, can you get it out from under the truck?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
yeah from under the truck is pretty easy or up top

i took mine out when my trans was out. it was great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts