Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rears are wearing too fast. No - I'm not smoking them at every turn or light :doh:!

What would cause my rears to wear dramatically faster then front - could there be something creating a drag that I am not aware of?

I had a guy (son in law) tighten my emergency brake a few thousand miles before I had my new rear brakes installed - to the ponit that I dont have a working emergency brake. I just never got around to fixing it right. Could that be the culprit. (no I dont drive around with the em brake on)

Mileage isnt really suffering too bad - I had a mechanic drive it late last year and the mechanic said it seemed like something was holding it back a little - but nothing was ever found.

Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
what kind of tires are you running? We got the amp problem with the contientals i think they are just fast wearing tires. They are slicks now haha, we are ordering some toyos soon

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
My rears are wearing too fast. No - I'm not smoking them at every turn or light :doh:!

What would cause my rears to wear dramatically faster then front - could there be something creating a drag that I am not aware of?

I had a guy (son in law) tighten my emergency brake a few thousand miles before I had my new rear brakes installed - to the ponit that I dont have a working emergency brake. I just never got around to fixing it right. Could that be the culprit. (no I dont drive around with the em brake on)

Mileage isnt really suffering too bad - I had a mechanic drive it late last year and the mechanic said it seemed like something was holding it back a little - but nothing was ever found.

Any idea's?
Do you ever rotate them? Need to rotate them every 5-6k to get good wear. What kind of pressure? Are they wearing evenly, in the middle, or on the outside?

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Their Nitto Terra Grapplers, LT305/70R16E's on stock alum rims, wearing evenly. Pressure around 50psi when unloaded.
Their great tires - but this last set is wearing the rears very fast.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The parking brake will not cause extra wear on your rear tires, if the parking brake is too tight it will overheat your brakes and cause them to wear fast.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i heard somthing about rear tires wearing fast because the back end bounces around more :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
My rear tires wear considerably faster than my fronts. I do not smoke the tires and they hardly ever break loose. I do accellerate at a good clip often. I think the force of the hard accelleration is enough friction/slip to wear the tires faster. You should be able to just keep them rotated every 6,000 miles as most tire places recommend and it should be fine....Mine is, as long as they are rotated. The only other issue I can think of would be a bent axle and that would wear the rear tires unevenly.
-Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts