Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice as to the style of strobe to use for the rear tails. I would prefer a grommet style that pops in and out as I could seal it up real well. I figured there had to be some peeps out there with some better choices or ideas that will help keep a good seal on the strobe or a better style to use.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Grommet style is the way to go:thumb:

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
For something in the tails Id suggest an LED lighthead from whelen, you just drill a hole in and its held in by two or three screws and the grommet it comes with seals the hole right up. They will be plenty bright and work real well, I have the older style in my other truck so they arent LED but they work great and never get water in the lights or anything

·
Registered
263 Posts
The LED hideaways from whelen are REALLY bright, saw some on a truck the other day and they were pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I've had grommets on 5 vehicles and no problems.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Kind of off topic but, I like how all these other companies compare their products to Whelen, I guess there is a reason why I buy Whelen, when you life is one the line, you don't want second best.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Kind of off topic but, I like how all these other companies compare their products to Whelen, I guess there is a reason why I buy Whelen, when you life is one the line, you don't want second best.
Federal signal is just as good as whelen if not better. As for the hideaways, grommet or the screw in style both work. The screw in style can handle 20+watts as well. Grommet style are only recommended for 15 watts. Just put a light ring of silicone around the rear of the installed lighthead. If you use amp connectors silicone those up as well. I recommend uni bits over the hole saws when drilling into the lights.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I've only had one strobe fail, the local dealer warrantied it, no questions asked.

·
Registered
329 Posts
as for the led hideaways, they are nice, but pricey. The strobe kits are a lot cheaper and just as effective. strobes are much better for this application because the leds can be very directional. You have to mount those just perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with everything that ULM 2008 said and I've done emergency installs for years but Whelen would be very last on my list to buy stuff from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am in the fire service as well as the construction end. Ive found that the led are a lot more visible in the day time than strobes are. as far as the directional thing they have made better on the design and u can mount them about any where

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
i have the whelen pop ins and i just put a bead of silicon around it before i popped the lights in and they are doing well. very bright also, there is a vid on here somewhere of them.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
those kits from stl seem pretty reasonable

·
Smoke Eater
1,305 Posts
another company to look at for good prices is Fox International Fire Rescue & Law Enforcement Equipment this company was started by a retired firefighter and his 90 watt kits are nice!!!!! however i now run the led's and you cant touch them in brightness compared with the traditional pop in strobes

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the 4led ecco amber hideaways in my reverse lights and they put the light out, they are made by another company I just cant remember the name right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts