Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on how to change a rear main seal in a 96 f-250.
can i do it with the tranny out or does the motor have to be pulled?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im assuming your truck has the 7.3? Its VERY VERY uncommon for a real main to go on these motors!! If you research it there is some tube that comes down the back of the motor and has oil that comes out of it. (its suppose to do this but it looks exactly like a rear mail leak) and MANY people confuse this for a rear mail leak. So just check into it. I would put money on it that it is not your rear main.. and anything that leaks into the valley of your motor will leak down there also making it look like a rear main.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my leaks up top all stopped, all new orings on turbo and HPOP lines. the oil sum how leaks down the back of my oil pan and drips to the ground, also oil leaks out the little hole on the cover inbetween the motor and transmission.
where could it be coming from?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Id say its most likely your turbo pedistal o rings leaking or possibly the o rings on the plugs on the back of one of the heads are leaking

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new turbo o-rings and still a leak, and no i have not guttede the EBPV.
how hard is it to fix the plug on the back of the heads? and where do i get a new one at?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Im assuming your truck has the 7.3? Its VERY VERY uncommon for a real main to go on these motors!! If you research it there is some tube that comes down the back of the motor and has oil that comes out of it. (its suppose to do this but it looks exactly like a rear mail leak) and MANY people confuse this for a rear mail leak. So just check into it. I would put money on it that it is not your rear main.. and anything that leaks into the valley of your motor will leak down there also making it look like a rear main.
Very good info. I am going to look at my 7.3 to see if the same problem is going on. Thank you.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts