Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have three kids, seven year old twins and a six year old. I would like to do something in the rear seat to protect the child in the middle seat better. For now, we just bought a 'husky' child seat (for a portly kid, I guess), which were the only ones that would fit our seven year olds. They are designed for lap belts, which is good.

Has anyone installed a shoulder belt or harness in the middle seat? I haven't gone back there to look at how easy it would be, but figured I'd ask since search results came up nill.

Thanks for any input! I'll do some regular Google searching also and see what comes up. :icon_ford:

Edit: Did any of the 2003-2007 crew cab trucks come with rear shoulder belts as an option, or was a lap belt the only option in the middle seat? I'm getting inconsistent reaults searching.

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is a lot of engineering that goes into engineering seat belts to with stand many different forces. Pillars and seats with attached seat belts are reinforced to take the impact of crash. So even if you some how attached at shoulder strap somewhere it probably wouldn't do anything in a wreck or do more damage to a kid. I really don't think it would be a good idea and that's from an engineering standpoint. I see where you are coming from though.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a lot of engineering that goes into engineering seat belts to with stand many different forces. Pillars and seats with attached seat belts are reinforced to take the impact of crash. So even if you some how attached at shoulder strap somewhere it probably wouldn't do anything in a wreck or do more damage to a kid. I really don't think it would be a good idea and that's from an engineering standpoint. I see where you are coming from though.

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah, I'm finding quite a few posts on the net with similar thought processes, so I can see what you are saying. I will not do anything unless it is safe, which might just mean leaving it the way it is. At this point, I'm researching.

I know that lap belts were the standard, and met the safety requirements at the time. And, the middle, rear seat is probably the safest seat in our trucks since it is up high, and in the middle. That being said, how unsafe is it? Is it safer to leave the lap belt than to install a shoulder belt that works in conjunction with the lap belt, rather than replacing it?

I'm learning alot as I'm searching about this. Thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder how well something like this would work? It doesn't change the integrity of the production seat belt, but adds the shoulder harness, which works with the stock belt. It seems like it would be the best of both worlds, at least until their weight exceeds the weight of the stock car seat anchor. Mine would have a few years until then, but it looks like they also sell at tether assembly, which is supposed to support up to 168 pounds. By then I may be in a different truck.

E-Z-On 86Y Universal Harness for Family Vehicles | Adaptive Car Seats | e-Special Needs

It seems like it would retain the safety of the stock seat belt, not require fabrication (and a safety issue) on my part, but also help prevent them from flying forward if we were to get into an accident.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
10,252 Posts
To be honest I would need to look. I think they attach to the body on my 2006. Ford added a headrest and shoulder strap to the newer trucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts