Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 99 dually with a dana 80 rear. Its got a lot of miles and needs somework.It still works ok but has some clinks going in an out of gear.
anyway, I found one from an 03 dually. I am pretty sure it still bolts right in and lines up with the leafs.The issue is My drive shaft attaches with strapsand 4 smallbolts.
The 03 rear attaches with the newer type circular brace that gets pressed onto the existing u joint. Then has 4 12mm(i think) bolts holing it onto the rear. How would i go about making this match? Add the new yoke to my driveshaft?
can I just swap yokes on the rear? Want to swap these? wanted to check this info before i spend the money
thx

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can probably get the matching yoke for that rear end and put in on your drive shaft. Just make sure it wont make it too long. A local drive shaft shop can set you up straight and should have a old yoke layin around.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping to take the yoke from the 99 rear thats in my truck and put it on the 03 rear. I was wondering if anyone knew if the splines were different? I looked up ring and pinions. They offered them but not with different splines?
The 03 rear's yoke stops even with the pinion threads. Mine(yoke) comes about about3/4 inch farther? I almost think I can add the mating part to the shaft or change yokes?
I was hoping someone could tell me I can just change yokes, its iterchangeable. Someone here must of swapper rears?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
As long as the gearing is the same you should be able to swap the yokes. 99 used 3:73 and 4:10, and 03 was mainly 4:10 for duallies.

NCH

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think my 99 is 3:73
the 03 rear is a 4:10
does that mean yokes cant be swapped?

·
Registered
270 Posts
if you have a two wheel drive the ratio isn't an issue, but if you have a 4x4 the front would have to be swapped to match the rear end ratio

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can i get a good explanation on that?
if the rear is a 373 then the front diff is the same? Never really thought of it.
hmmm, maybe I am better off fixing what i have. scuffy828 on here can do it.i am close to him. I need to checkmy gear ratios, You mark the rear yoke right, and see if with one wheel revolution, how many times the yoke spins? either 3 3/4 times are bit over 4 times right?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Yeah that's right, fill out your location so we know where you are located. I am also near Scott, just north of him in Mt Airy.

NCH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts