Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I bought the truck with 300K on it recently. The previous owner never changed the rear end fluid. Also, the vent tube was totally stopped up. When I removed it to clean it, it bleed pressure out at first like a cracked can of pepsi. Anyways, I changed the fluid and metal flakes out for some clean fluid and picked up 2 mpg in the process. I have an open diff and the gears are definatly sloppy. they whine and have too much drivetrain lash. you get the clunk when you are on/off the throttle. I have installed gears and stuff in the past on mustangs, but never worked on one of these big rear ends before. What I'd like to do is replace the gears and bearings and put a posi carrier in so I dont look like a dufus when my F-250 power stroke gets stuck in someones front yard. (because it rains more here in Mississippi then it does in Vietnam.) Anyways, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm planning on this being around 1000 bucks, but any cheaper ideas are appreciated. I'm not sure if I am going to attack this one myself or just take it to ford and let them do it. Probably after I get sticker shock, I'll do it myself. I have 3.55 gears and dont really see where I need anything more so I was probably going to replace with the same ratio. What do you guys think?

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Gentlemen,

I bought the truck with 300K on it recently. The previous owner never changed the rear end fluid. Also, the vent tube was totally stopped up. When I removed it to clean it, it bleed pressure out at first like a cracked can of pepsi. Anyways, I changed the fluid and metal flakes out for some clean fluid and picked up 2 mpg in the process. I have an open diff and the gears are definatly sloppy. they whine and have too much drivetrain lash. you get the clunk when you are on/off the throttle. I have installed gears and stuff in the past on mustangs, but never worked on one of these big rear ends before. What I'd like to do is replace the gears and bearings and put a posi carrier in so I dont look like a dufus when my F-250 power stroke gets stuck in someones front yard. (because it rains more here in Mississippi then it does in Vietnam.) Anyways, I'd love to hear some suggestions. I'm planning on this being around 1000 bucks, but any cheaper ideas are appreciated. I'm not sure if I am going to attack this one myself or just take it to ford and let them do it. Probably after I get sticker shock, I'll do it myself. I have 3.55 gears and dont really see where I need anything more so I was probably going to replace with the same ratio. What do you guys think?

:icon_ford:
Is the truck 4x4?? If isnt id go for a set of 3.73s..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, its 2wd. But its getting 23 mpg or better too. I didnt really want to go shooting that in the foot with more gear especially since it already has silly amounts of torque in low gears. Its a 5 speed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what should be a "normal" pricerange for this work if I got it done somewhere?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main questions were should I try and get a ford posi carrier, or go with a locker, and if so what brand is recommended.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
if you have an open diff already look into the lock right locker. It replaces your spider gears and works amazing. I had one in my 96 and I keep kicking my self in the aZZ for not keeping the locker.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You're looking at probably $500 for someone to do it. As far as traction aids, True-trac or Detroit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is lock rite the same as powertrax? I'd heard they broke a lot. I'll look into that, I had considered it because its easy to do, but then figured I really needed to do the gears anyways since they whine some and I might as well go full bore.

This will mainly be driven on the hwy, but I am tired of it getting stuck everywhere. I had an open in my dodge and installed a dodge posi in it with a set of 3.92 gears (in a thunderstorm in what turned out to be a low spot in the yard) and it worked great.

I'll look at the lock rites and compare them to a detroit. I'm leaning towards a detroit right now, but I was wondering if the ford wouldnt be better for something used mainly on the hwy.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
i have the lockright units in both my trucks and have not had any issue with them at all and yes the are the same as the powertrax units! my buddy runs them in his rock truck to good stuff :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
where are ya in Mississippi

·
Registered
345 Posts
you cant go wrong with a detroit locker im sorry but iv ran those things in my mud trucks and never had a prob! but as far as lock rites its a cheap fix for pozi it would be easyer to rebuild you diff with a lock right. cuz you dont have to reshim your rear end or anything. and when you get a pozi i wanna see some burnout pics

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
you cant go wrong with a detroit locker im sorry but iv ran those things in my mud trucks and never had a prob! but as far as lock rites its a cheap fix for pozi it would be easyer to rebuild you diff with a lock right. cuz you dont have to reshim your rear end or anything. and when you get a pozi i wanna see some burnout pics
He'll probably need to re-shim anyway. He says his gears are sloppy, which will probably need a new r/p anyway.

If you're trying to keep a budget, you're probably going to hit a u-pull wrecker. Start checking every F-250 and SRW 350 you see, look for a tag on the axle stamped 3L55. that would be a Limited Slip 3.55 ratio. Probably get a complete axle at a u-pull for less than $200. The other budget options would be to get the LS out of a wrecker and find new or used ring and pinion gears.

·
Registered
345 Posts
you can always buy a hole rear end

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was planning on new gears and carrier which means I'll for sure have to re shim. If I get that and all the bearings changed, it basically will be good as new. I was figuring on going with a ford posi carrier but I'll have to look at if its worth the money to go to a locker or not.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
detroit is prolly nto a good idea for a 2wd truck that ismainly used for highway. when ur under power goin around a corner its fully loked up.

id prolly stay with the 3.55 if the truck isnt luggin pulling watever u need to pull. no since in turning the motor higher if it doesnt need the extra power.

i rebuilt a coupl rears, in my OBS and SD. jus keep in mind the shims inside if ur backlash is no right, ever .003 of shim movement takes .001 of backlash. if its not right then u might as well put the beer down and get to a pad and paper and do some figurin, it can get confusing to get it right.:thumb::icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
PS- i hav a used set of 3.73 gears that came out of a SD 10.5 rear. my pops took them out and i gave him the 4.10's out of my OBS when i went to 4.56's.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
If you're trying to do it cheaply, pulling a whole rear is probably you're best bet. Not hard just heavy.

PS- i hav a used set of 3.73 gears that came out of a SD 10.5 rear. my pops took them out and i gave him the 4.10's out of my OBS when i went to 4.56's.
OBS gears will fit a Sterling 10.5 with the OBS carrier. Super Duty gear will not fit an OBS truck.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
yea, thought they put 10.5's in some OBSs tho.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it never happened

1 - 19 of 19 Posts