Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So due to noice and a seal leak I decided to see if my rear diff breather was clogged and fluid came out of if as if it was over filled. Well so did a chunk of metal shavings

The gear oil was foamy and watered down and the gears looked almost shiny as if material has been removed. There seems to be quite a bit of backlash over the videos I see so not sure if the bearings going bad cause play enough for tgat on the pinion.

Here the pics . Before I drop the drive shaft n remove the differential to inspect , you think I can get away with a bearing set n seals or does this ring gear look bad. Truck has 196k And a shop did the rear carrier n pinion bearings 2 years ago. I think I’m just gonna redo those myself. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I would clean it out with brake cleaner, and fill it full of new oil and see how it does. 85w140 gear oil works best with that Detroit locker.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Actually I believe that is a 3 pinon open carrier, looks very similar to a Detroit Locker at a glance. Either way I would still use the thicker 85w140 gear oil since the bearings are worn.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I believe that is a 3 pinon open carrier, looks very similar to a Detroit Locker at a glance. Either way I would still use the thicker 85w140 gear oil since the bearings are worn.
Yes it’s an open carrier Should I replace the seal or just keep letting it leak out the front lol
Any harm in pulling the carrier to look at the bearings as long as I put the shims in the same spot ?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Does the pinion or differential bearings have any slack in them??
Curious what kind of "oil" was used in there -- 85-140 would be my choice for longevity
Normal gear clearance is 0.005-0.015 - with 0.010 being the target as measured on the ring gear edge

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the pinion or differential bearings have any slack in them??
Curious what kind of "oil" was used in there -- 85-140 would be my choice for longevity
Normal gear clearance is 0.005-0.015 - with 0.010 being the target as measured on the ring gear edge
Slack as in in our / side side play I didn’t feel it but I’m gonna drop the drive shaft tomm and take a closer look. I tried moving it back and forth but didn’t seem like there was any play. It’s been fine fir 2 years.

I don’t have Gauge To measure the clearance. I’ll go pick one up tomm. It seemed like a lot when I spin the wheel.

Thanks for your input it was an independent shop that does a lot of trucks n American jacks cars. So not Ford. I guess I assumed it was shot with everything leaking n the foamy watery oil.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So rear end has no play. Backlash isn’t as bad as I thought forgot that the carrier gears move so I think I’m good there . Pinion or career has no play side or in out. Cleaned it all out and replaced both hub/ wheels bearings and races. They had 196k on them figure why not, planned to do them anyway.

Picked up 85w140 gear oil , waiting for the rear cover sealant to dry overnight. Then will test it out.

Almost wanna go buy a new truck but I guess I’m keeping my 2020 2007 f250

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i went ahead and paid a guy to swap the seal... 3 days later... its starting to show signs of it dripping. leaking... i couldnt move the shaft with my hands in out or side to side... backlash is very tight. used a ford OEM Pinoin seal.... the carrier and pinon were suppsoedly "rebuilt' 2 years ago but now i feel like maybe the shop just did a bad job or didnt actually swap the bearings...

Could the drive shaft center bearing go bad after 40k miles ( 2 years) they did that ( lookjed brand new).... or a driveshaft u joint be causing this to go bad?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Check the diff vent to see if it is plugged -- gotta be able to breathe

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the diff vent to see if it is plugged -- gotta be able to breathe
It’s clear or atleast I blew throw it and it seemed clear I gg uses I’ll take it off completely and do it again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts