Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a question, I hear a clunk which sounds similar to a U joint. Only hear it when going back and forth from reverse to drive. I got under the truck tonite. I can actually move the rear end yoke?(attached to drive shaft) area)
up and sieways. I need to say,only asmall amount but i can move it around a bit. I know it turns and there will be some gear slop as spinning the shaft both ways. This can and will cause a clunk.I can also push it up and see the yoke move. is this a big deal? Is their a pressin bushing in that area that would be worn? would not mind tightening this up? can someone tell me how?
thx

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no leaks at the pinion, it could be a loose nut. I bought a couple ujoints too. I am going to take the shaft out. look over joints and tighten pinion(or at least make sure it did not loosen) Then re assemble. If its caused by slop? what would be doing it? Drives fine and quiet. Just when you put it in ger. Just like a u joint gone bad? I hope thats what it is

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the nut has come loose and been loose for awhile i would be worried about all the bearings in the carrier. The pinion bearings are probably bad which in turn will put more strain on the other bearing. I had the same problem and let it go to long and it caused all the bearing to go out and ended up wearing on the housing of the rear end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts