Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what this noise is coming from. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This noise occurs when driving, loudest when decelerating. We jacked the truck up today to diag the rear and found it to be there. Any help / experience would be huge. Thanks.

Video is loud!!

https://youtu.be/prrW0ms3uzQ

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I can't help any, but apparent at :45 sec. I'm wondering how the tires spin in neutral. May not even be close to the problem, but have you thought of pulling the rear diff cover and checking the fluids?supposed to be done at 150k. My duff fluid had no apparent metal shavings when I changed it.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Dude ...bearings out or no oil in that diff
pop the cover, it will be apparent then
is there slack in the pinion bearing(jiggle the driveshaft)?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
X2 on a bad bearing(s). Looks like it has been wet down there a while too.
Pop the cover and inspect your ring and pinion. Get some new bearings, fluid, and Prussian blue, and make a weekend out of it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear end chatter

Thanks for the response everybody.
Took a look this morning and jiggled my driveshaft in park. Quite a bit of play emanating from the pinion bearing. Thanks for the help again.
I did service this axle roughly 10k miles ago. It has plenty of oil, lsd modifier, and had no shavings in the oil.
I had chocked this noice up to be a front end noise, never considered the rear. The more you learn...

Any advice on parts I need to purchase? Brands?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
"and had no shavings in the oil"

You have shavings now, just be sure to wash them all out
The axle tubes likely will have particles in them, so a thorough washing is advised
Mineral spirits first to cut the axle lube, use a brush to work it in
Pressure washer and soap to finish
or brake clean and finish with air hose

Strip the differential and wash the parts in the mineral spirits
need to check the clutch plates anyways

Those small bearing and gear particles will damage the new bearings if left in the housing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts