Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys hopefully you can help me find out whats going on a little bit. ever since i have had my truck i noticed when i let off the gas i get a roar or growl and i cant really tell if its from the front or back. i have been thinking maybe its normal for the heavy duty drive train and transmission but i just want to see what you think...

also my rear pinion seal has started leaking more and more and im getting a slight vibration in the the rear diff it feels like too whenever going up hills SLOWLY or turning and going SLOWLY

any info will help guys im taking my rear diff cover off tomarrow.. thanx

·
Registered
985 Posts
mine does the same thing when i am on the highway. normal speeds and then let off the gas and roooooar... it anoys the piss out of me. i thinkit is my carrier bearing though, i hope.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no 1 has any info

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
If your pinion seal is leaking, and you have decel vibration, you most likely are looking at needing a new rear end very shortly. The pinion bearing is definitely bad, which is causing the pinion to move around (causing the seal to leak) and the pinion gear is now tearing the ring up to boot.

Pull the cover off, and you will see that there is lots of nifty shiny debris in there.

What you don't hear, but I am sure it is there too, is that you are making the same noise when you accelerate, but you can't hear it over the engine. If your truck were quieter, you would notice it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanx for the info elibenson but it looks like on wednesday im going to try to replace my pinion seal, crush sleeve, and carrier bearing.. i hope this solves the issue

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
well thanx for the info elibenson but it looks like on wednesday im going to try to replace my pinion seal, crush sleeve, and carrier bearing.. i hope this solves the issue
That is worth a try. It is a lot cheaper than a whole new rear end, and at least it may buy you a few months. At most, it may fix the whole thing.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Just because the pinion is leaking doesn't mean you have torn anything up. Mine will weep for a month and then seal up for 6 months, been doing this since new. Just make sure the fluid is topped off. The noise you are describing could be a bearing or gear in the Rear End, you will know when you pull the cover, also check carrier bearing, and U Joints. Good Luck.

NCH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello first time poster long time lurker. My question is that the front of my rear diff is leaking also. I went to a local shop here in town and the first thing he said were my crush bearings were out along with crush sleeve. I was wondering if you could tell just by driving? It makes a slight humming noise like a tire noise, such as, as an aggressive tire tread on the pavement. When it warms up the noise goes away. Any thought would be great. Thank you for the countless things you guys have already helped me with.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
..man i see this all the time on here.. like all the time lol

I have rebuilt my rear end on my old truck twice.. carrier bearing thankful never went..

my new truck also has same issue, this rear end was competetly replaced..end to end from ford ages ago and bango same issue..it again is the pinion bearsing..not the crush sleeve..

you usually need to replace, front and rear pinion bearings and race's, along with crush sleeve and pinion seal, also because those are bad the carrier bearings need to be checked and if your not careful the spacers in the diff will break. or crack. they dont take long to get apart and just look at the races and see if there all chunky or if the bearings have little pieces missing, around 60-80km/hr you can usually hear it the worst, mines pretty bad and there is still no play in the yoke. last time i priced out a rebuild kit was 250$ from ford at my cost..mine will be getting fixed next month

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also forgot to mention the truck is a few ticks shy of 245000 miles. I am not real sure on the history of the truck. I guess I should say I do not have a vibration it is more of a hum.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Get it up in the air and get the wheels spinning and see if you can source the noise. I wouldn't trust anyone without seeing it for myself. Just be glad you don't have a dually. The Dana 80 requires 460ft lbs of torque on the pinion nut. Ford quoted me $120 for parts and labor, but it hasn't leaked since!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
NCHornet you are vast wealth of knowledge on this site. Anyways just an update on the truck it is at Ford right now and they are looking at it. Turns out a an axle seal was out and they are trying to see the bearings in the diff are shot. Then it they are going to put new crush bearings and a crush sleeve in it. Man 500 dollars last week for a water pump and now 700 for fixing the rear diff. Thank goodness Uncle Sam did not write me an IOU.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Get it up in the air and get the wheels spinning and see if you can source the noise. I wouldn't trust anyone without seeing it for myself. Just be glad you don't have a dually. The Dana 80 requires 460ft lbs of torque on the pinion nut. Ford quoted me $120 for parts and labor, but it hasn't leaked since!!
i hate that 460....stupid bastards that invented that..

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
im having the same problem im looking for a complete f550running gear for my 250 with 19.5s lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts