Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is on jack stands while I wait on parts because I’m going back to stock from a lifted truck. I figured while I’m waiting on parts I’ll just change some fluids to give me something to do... I found a bunch of metal in the bottom of the diff and the fluid was a scary shade of silver. I have no clue how this happened or what exactly failed because I’ve never noticed a difference in how it drove, no new noises or anything like that. What do you guys think happened here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
agreed and that can't be good lol

I guess I’ll just rebuild the rear, any suggestions on the best place to get bearings, shims, crush sleeve, and anything else I might need? I don’t want to buy bad quality parts and have to do it again down the road.

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you are competent in gear setup procedures ? https://www.yukongear.com/downloads/manuals/yukon_general_installation_instructions.pdf

I always heard Randys ring and pinion is a good source

I would price ford also but i wonder why it spit a shim ? and it looks worn

Thanks man, and yeah I’ve done a few jeeps and my friends F-250. I’ll probably tear it apart in the next couple weeks depending on how much time I have and post up in this thread on what I find. It’s my 3rd vehicle so it’s not a big deal to have it down for a little while.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to ask but does anyone have a clue why a shim would just get destroyed like that?

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
metal separator plate from the limited slip clutch pack -- you been spinning just one tire too much

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,108 Posts
i agree on it being from the diff not a bearing shim.

if you had big big tires you probably killed the diff with how much power the diesel makes (unless its a 7.3 lol)

you can see the clutch engagement marks on it as well...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i agree on it being from the diff not a bearing shim.

if you had big big tires you probably killed the diff with how much power the diesel makes (unless its a 7.3 lol)

you can see the clutch engagement marks on it as well...

I did have 40’s on it but only for a few months, I also have the E Locker but never really used it but once to get out of some really slick mud but got me out instantly so I didn’t romp on it or anything like that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone got a diagram of all the parts inside the locker? I’ve got a basic understanding of how they work I’m just trying to see if there’s anything inside it that could be my mystery metal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If this helps anyone I tried to assemble it based off the wear marks in it and the breaks in the ring, not perfect but it’s my best guess. Inside diameter is somewhere in the 2 1/8th - 2 1/4” range, outer is somewhere a little bit over 3” ish and the width of the ring is about 7/16”. These numbers aren’t exact at all it’s just what I was able to piece together. Hopefully someone knows what that could match up to in the rear end lol.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
That does look a little like a shim, but no way it could 'spit a shim' and not trash a bearing -- possibly the housing

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That does look a little like a shim, but no way it could 'spit a shim' and not trash a bearing -- possibly the housing

That’s what I was thinking, still clueless on what it is lol, guess I’ll just have to take it apart when I get time and see what’s going on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts