Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin into putting air bags on the rear to help out the ride for pullin etc. what brands do yall have, like? i hear the ride goes down when empty, is it true?

·
Registered
601 Posts
my neighbor has firestone air bags. with the truck empty and about 10psi in them they effect the ride a very small amount.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
know where to get them at?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went with AIR LIFT 5 psi minimum auto regulator and inside cab switch for compressor so you can adjust on the road.:thumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant remember the set up, but ive heard that if you run the hoses wrong, when the load shifts, it pushes all the air from one side to the other, in other words it defeats the purpose of having them. do yall know what im talking about?

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
i cant remember the set up, but ive heard that if you run the hoses wrong, when the load shifts, it pushes all the air from one side to the other, in other words it defeats the purpose of having them. do yall know what im talking about?
I haven't experienced that with mine at all

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Thats if you get a single switch. If you get dual switches you can control each bag indivitually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
would it be wise to go ahead and get an air tank then too? i think i t would be, like a half or 1 gallon one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lookin into putting air bags on the rear to help out the ride for pullin etc. what brands do yall have, like? i hear the ride goes down when empty, is it true?

Research the systems before you buy one. I looked into those for my dually and found that Firestone was the only system that mounted inside the frame rail. According to the Air Lift people, their system won't have enough clearance on the duallys (it mounts on the outside of the frame rails.) I'm not sure about the PacBrake or the Hellwig systems. Let us know how it goes.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Firestone is the brand for me. Mine are mounted inside the frame between the axle and frame and no holes have to be drilled.

The whole thing of the air from one one side to the other while cornering: Maybe with a large over head camper but with a typical load of 10K on truck with a 10K trailer has never been a problem for me.

·
allergic to hot weather
1,208 Posts
lol i do carry them :)

90% of the stuff i carry is not on the site yet....
crap Raul thats 1 more thing to add to my list of stuff i need from you. PM me a price for these and what is included. I was just talking to a buddy about adding another leaf but this sounds like a smother MT plan.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Thats if you get a single switch. If you get dual switches you can control each bag indivitually.
That's partially correct. The actual reason that this can happen is running both bags on the same air line. If you run each bag on its own air line, you won't have this problem. If you decide to run a switch, you will need two; one to control each bag.

PS. Firestone's for me as well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That's partially correct. The actual reason that this can happen is running both bags on the same air line. If you run each bag on its own air line, you won't have this problem. If you decide to run a switch, you will need two; one to control each bag.

PS. Firestone's for me as well.
correct, it's called air transfer, air puches out of one bag through the line and fills the other one, then you get body roll. most people that are towing 5th wheels don't have this problem but if your riunning a slide in camper i would highly suggest either 2 lines or a compressor w/ individual fills.

·
Registered
738 Posts
could I just use my train horn compressor and get a bigger tank..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts