Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a sctx3 with custom tunes. Im affraid im opening a whole new can of worms with problems. I just want something to increase Fuel mileage and for towing. I have no desire to be the fastest. i have stock head bolts and afraid i'll screw it up. any advice??? please!

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
If that's what you're looking for, you want the X3. Let your tuner know you're still running stock bolts, and you're looking for economy and you should be fine. No tuner out there is going to be 100% trouble free, but the custom tunes will cut down your risks. I'd say try a economy/tow/street package. And let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
20,352 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I been running an SCT and custom tunes for about a year on my F-350 work truck with a service bed. It weighs about 10,000lbs as it sits. I been running street tunes most of time.Mileage is better,fun to drive, easier to drive in traffic.Most of the head bolt issues are from the plugged oil coolers, unless you run hot tunes and bigger turbos, injectors, ect.I'm 54 yrs old so that works in my favor, I tend to run a little slower now, lol.I'm leaving on a 3,000 mile tripe Friday and will be pulling a 6,000lb trailer for 1/2 of that.I'll let ya know how I do! While towing I intend to run "tow tunes" other wise I'll run "street tunes" for better mileage.Arizona to Montana to South Dak to Kansas to New mex to Az. Should be a fair test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a way to look up strategy code with Edge Cts or another SCT???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Well by looking at your sig, you're on the right track with your mods, like what has been said, there is always a risk, but you cut that down by using your head with these tunes...........worse case, its a good reason to get the truck studded, after that you'll be ready to rock and roll :nod:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
With any of the well known tuners you will get a safe tune if you tell them what you want and how your truck is set up. Matt says his cylinder pressures are lower on the SRL than the factory stock tune.

It sure does make for a lot more fun with it tuned.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys i found a model 3015 SCT XCal 3 for $200! gonna get it.

Now to decide who to chose for my tunes...any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Thanks guys i found a model 3015 SCT XCal 3 for $200! gonna get it.

Now to decide who to chose for my tunes...any suggestions?
Well if your really worried about it and if its true about Matt's tunes and cylinder pressure is lower then you can't go wrong, but you also can't go wrong with KEM's, Innovative, Cales....etc, etc......its the SCT tuner you found unlocked?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Matt says his cylinder pressures are lower on the SRL than the factory stock tune.
Thats impressive, I didnt know that. Makes me feel even better about running it now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Remember, there are plenty of factory tuned trucks blowin studs. I had a similar worry about 10k miles ago. No problems so far. I went with viv's looney, and I also have her tow. Happy with both. She said the looney is safe for headstuds, but then again i dont beat the piss out of mine either. Just short runs. Ive heard good things are matt's tuning though, I definately think you couldnt go wrong.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
How you feel is pretty much how I felt. I got Matt's SRL, 8k Tow, and Unlimited Tow combo. The SRL is damn powerful, too much so for my tastes (right now, once I have the emergency funds around I'll probably run it)... I personally like the 8k Tow the most and use it as my dd/tow/everything tune.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 06 CCSB has been tuned since 39K. Right now it's sitting on 110, alls well. I did stud the truck at 98k, and just put a nicely built 5R110 in it recently, bought a powermax while waiting on the trans. All of that was pm and my wants. No problems from my tunes. With all that chest beating done, heres been my experience with two really good tuners.
My Extreme Street is a blast. When I first put the tune in I was AMAZED. Shifts firm, powers great, when I keep my foot out of it mileage is better than stock. Tow tunes good, no complaints.
The Looney is fantastic as well. This tune was written for me over the phone. I had it saved to desktop before off the phone. Shifts smooth as butter, powers there. Just a really awesome tune. It should be stock from Ford. Really.
I plan on visiting a few more tuners. Read great things about Gearheads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.