Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of installing an egr delete on my 03, i bought the kit from RCD with the up-pipe but im worried ill just break the bolts on the up-pipe trying to take the stock one off. Is there any other alternatives to a plug that i can put in the stock up pipe? And now im reading i didnt need the up-pipe since its an 03 and it doesnt have a scoop.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Im in the middle of installing an egr delete on my 03, i bought the kit from RCD with the up-pipe but im worried ill just break the bolts on the up-pipe trying to take the stock one off. Is there any other alternatives to a plug that i can put in the stock up pipe? And now im reading i didnt need the up-pipe since its an 03 and it doesnt have a scoop.
IIRC the kit I got from RCD had enough bolts to replace the factory bolts. Get yourself a can of PB Blaster and give them a good soak. Worst case scenario you have to get some new bolts and they're cheap.

·
Military Member
70 Posts
PB Blast is always the best! Like the lastguy said, soak that bolt in that PB Blast and you'll be good.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
so it doesnt matter that i have an 03? the up pipe that came with the kit will work right?
Nope, it doesn't matter that you have an 03. The up-pipe is the same with the ONLY difference being the 04.25 and up (the ones with the square EGR cooler) have the scoop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help fellas, i ended up cutting the end of the egr cooler off that couples to the up-pipeand welded a pice of stainless to the end to make a homemade plug...got it running late lastnight. seems to be working fine now i just gotta get a tuner on the way!:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the help fellas, i ended up cutting the end of the egr cooler off that couples to the up-pipeand welded a pice of stainless to the end to make a homemade plug...got it running late lastnight. seems to be working fine now i just gotta get a tuner on the way!:)
by still having the hole and a small pipe with a plug in it you are still disrupting the flow of exhaust by not having it being a solid pipe,

if you have the pipe y didnt u just put it in?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
seems to be working fine now i just gotta get a tuner on the way!:)
Your truck ('03) should not throw a code for the egr cooler delete. If that is the reason why your getting a tuner, you can cross that off your list.
Breaking the bolts when removing the existing up-pipe would have little consequence. They are bolts that pass right through from one side to the other and are not studs that are part of anything. You would WANT to replace the bolts with the new up-pipe and also the ones that pass through the exhaust manifold to the up-pipe.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
The times I pulled all the pre turbo exhaust components, the engine was cold with PB blaster soaked on the bolts for a good amount of time, then start the truck, let idle for ~3 min and the heat will help with releasing the bolts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by still having the hole and a small pipe with a plug in it you are still disrupting the flow of exhaust by not having it being a solid pipe,

if you have the pipe y didnt u just put it in?
I didnt install the upipe becasue i figured itd be a pain in the a$$ gettin the bolts off the up-pipe off...and if i broke one off i didnt wanna go through the hassle of trying to get it out. I wouldnt think it would disrupt the flow of exhaust considering its no different then buying a egr kit with a plug instead of the up-pipe..i just spent more money for an up-pipe and realized it wouldve been easier with a plug so I decided to make my own.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I didnt install the upipe becasue i figured itd be a pain in the a$$ gettin the bolts off the up-pipe off...and if i broke one off i didnt wanna go through the hassle of trying to get it out. I wouldnt think it would disrupt the flow of exhaust considering its no different then buying a egr kit with a plug instead of the up-pipe..i just spent more money for an up-pipe and realized it wouldve been easier with a plug so I decided to make my own.
Yes it will disrupt the airflow and with a negative impact on how the turbo spools. Not a huge one but it is there no the less. I seem to remember a term used for solutions like yours that started with "half". Why not do it right. You have the parts. It also get's rid of the bellows section of the up-pipe which is prone to blowing out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts