Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty... what is the real world gains you can expect from a SCT on the truck in my sig. stock truck other than 4" turbo back no kitty and some 35" tires. What kind of gains are realistic let's say.. cruise control doing 75mph on flat hwy. city gains?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so after driving 2yrs or 30k miles the SCT paid for itself... not exactly something to run out and buy for MPG's. Might do something else with my Welfare check.. I mean "stimulus" check. I have it narrowed down to SCT, Shotgun, or help pay truck off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I paid $419.00 cdn for SCT and have seen some mild improvement in fuel mileage but yah it's hard not to unleash the HP & torque gains .

·
Registered
891 Posts
On paper,..there are some gains....but in reality,...with all the extra power on tap....who here doesn't mash the skinny pedal more often, because of the SCT?
Screw economy - the skinny pedal is so much more fun:hehe: Seriously though I was hammer down before the SCT and hammer down after and my mileage has remained about the same so it must be helping because I have just a little more power now. I just CAN'T keep my foot out of it anymore.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Good question. I would not buy an SCT for the soul purpose of fuel economy gains. But would like to see what the perks are.:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
On paper,..there are some gains....but in reality,...with all the extra power on tap....who here doesn't mash the skinny pedal more often, because of the SCT?
Agreed. The only gains I noticed were horses and torque...I definitely didn't LOSE anything.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
at $4.50/gal and climbing... I am trying my best to stand my ground. Not doing so good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just ordered an sct to replace my banks and i can get better mpg if i drive normal but i dont do that really well and still get 13 to 15 with in town and highway combo

·
Registered
798 Posts
I gained 2.6 mpg hand calculated over 850 miles of continuous highway driving with DJ's economy tune. On a 60/40 town/highway split, I gained about 1 mpg.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well 1-2.6mpg... Not bad. every bit helps. The other factor keeping me from getting a SCT yesterday is the warranty. I have a 10yr 100k on my 2007. Really don't want to throw that out the window to save $3/wk in fuel. I'm just not sure if it's feasable to drive a truck like this anymore at $4.50/gal (this week).... Things look pretty bleak for us. every week it's 10 cent (or more) hikes. (McDonalds & wal-mart will feel my pain too) I pass my savings onto other businesses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its easy for people who dont use their truck for business to say, "Oh its so much more fun using the skinny pedal" Damn right it is, but all of my income lies in the fuel mileage.
i tow around a 20K trailer and my 03 6.0 gets between 9.5 and 12.5 mpg depending on the lay of the land...flat or hills/mountains. That 3 mpg difference over 2500 miles is a $284 savings in fuel cost at $4.50 a gallon!! Thats HUGE!!! Thats a 4 day trip for me for my business. $1136 bucks a month in an average mileage month....3 mpg.
Now some may understand why some of us are looking to eek every mpg we can out of our trucks. That said, My truck is STOCK. whats the best tuner for mileage and safety in the mountains?? Granetelli mileage miser engine module claims 4 mpg with a 60/140 hp/ft.lb increase.
can any full on "tuner" touch that?
Any help appreciated!!

Dave

·
Registered
798 Posts
Its easy for people who dont use their truck for business to say, "Oh its so much more fun using the skinny pedal" Damn right it is, but all of my income lies in the fuel mileage.
i tow around a 20K trailer and my 03 6.0 gets between 9.5 and 12.5 mpg depending on the lay of the land...flat or hills/mountains. That 3 mpg difference over 2500 miles is a $284 savings in fuel cost at $4.50 a gallon!! Thats HUGE!!! Thats a 4 day trip for me for my business. $1136 bucks a month in an average mileage month....3 mpg.
Now some may understand why some of us are looking to eek every mpg we can out of our trucks. That said, My truck is STOCK. whats the best tuner for mileage and safety in the mountains?? Granetelli mileage miser engine module claims 4 mpg with a 60/140 hp/ft.lb increase.
Any help appreciated!!

Dave
I'd say call Eric at Innovative Diesel. An SCT with his custom tuning on your truck should be able to hit that...maybe more.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Any help appreciated!!

Dave

WELL PUT MY FRIEND!!!! :thumb: Someone on here that actually is thinking like me. I want the MPG gain, but don't want to lose my 100k warranty and have to pay out of pocket if something were to go out, like head studs, or a water pump. b/c then there is no savings at all. and the like you said, the skinny pedal is fun, but not when it's $$$ that affects food on your table. my main/only reason for a programmer is MPG's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just took a little trip to northern VA, 20.5 mpg for 670 miles.

We usually get 16.5 - 17 daily back and forth to work (15 miles one way, some highway, mostly 35 mph).

Before the tuner, I was seeing 17 on the highway and 15 daily. I leave the looney in all the time, but don't drive like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
DJ has a good Economy tune, but my best mileage was running the Looney when I could keep my foot out of it. I got 16mpg in town unloaded. I'm now running Eric's Extreme Race tune and getting 15.5mpg in town unloaded. In regards to towing, I have only towed with DJ's tow tune and got 8mpg towing my 12k lb 5er @ 75 mph to the Imperial Sand Dunes from Phoenix. PS. ALL my figures are hand calculated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unloaded, driving slow as heck in Tampa, I averaged 15.3 mpg yesterday for running my errands. Not very good in my eyes. If I could shrink my SD down to a F150 size and shrink the 6.0 down to about 4.0L we'd be in awsome shape in MPG's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts