Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. What are y'all really getting mpg wise with your trucks? I'm currently driving a 97 2wd with an unfixable speedo problem it seems and I'm getting 12 mpg. I'd love to stay with my loyalty to Ford and up grade to an 00-02 7.3 6 speed but if the mileage can't really get better than 16mpg like I've always thought the average was, I'm going to buy anywhere from a 01-04 Cummins 6 speed. If it matters, trucks gonna be 4wd as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a 2002 CCSB 4x4 6spd manual. I've done a Banks intake, MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust, and TS-6 pos chip with canned tunes. Truck has 232,000 on odometer and as far as I know, stock, original injectors. I'm running full synthetic in axles, transmission, and engine. My driving style is pretty laid back, rarely taking it over 2k RPM on the 50hp setting, unless I am coming up on the interstate. Once a week or so, I put it in the 100hp setting and let it rip.

All that being said, I typically average about 18-18.5 mpg mixed driving. When I put it on cruise at 65 on the interstate, I average 21.5 mpg. This is hand-calculated mileage and verifying speedometer against mile markers on the interstate. I have noticed that my average at 70mph comes down to 17.5-18.0 on the interstate. Hell of a drop for 5mph.

Oh, and last oil change, I put Hot Shots stiction eliminator in with the oil. That really seemed to help out a lot with the starts and engine performance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not bad at all. Thats actually right up there with the Cummins though i know they can get up in the 20's easily You're driving style ain't to different than mine either though I don't have a chip installed though I do have it, I just haven't screwed with it yet. Its a shame that I'm still leaning towards the Cummins reading this since those 6 speed Fords just aren't around me for how far I'm willing to drive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can definitely understand the distance issue. I got lucky (if you can call it that) with location. I live in Virginia, but my sister checked out an Ebay sale for me where she lives in Minnesota. She gave it the green light, so my parents in Kansas picked it up for me when they visited her over Thanksgiving and I picked it up from them when I visited at Christmas. The Cummins are great engines, but I've never liked the Dodge interior.

For what it's worth, I did get 19 mpg on the interstate with everything stock coming home from Kansas. And if you get custom tunes on the TS chip, or go with one of the OBDII tuners, I've heard stories of mid-20's. Can't vouch for those numbers myself, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
19 stock is pretty damn good. If I was able to afford traveling farther, it wouldn't be an issue to stay in the Ford family but NY winters and salt just love to eat our trucks up when people don't take care of them. Even though Dodges are notorious for being the worse on rot, theres just more around in my distance whether its a 24v or a common rail. Im not entirely a fan of Dodge interiors but, I do think they're pretty decent and ANYTHING is better than these years GM interiors haha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
18.0 mpg - hand calculated 95% interstate at 75 mph

CCSB 2WD auto with 222,000 on stock injectors, no real mods to speak of

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
18.0 mpg - hand calculated 95% interstate at 75 mph

CCSB 2WD auto with 222,000 on stock injectors, no real mods to speak of
Maybe I'm underestimating these trucks then just because mine is bad cause thats two of you with 18

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
i average 13-14 mpg. my dad gets about 16.
both autos
i have more mods but he drives easier.

·
Registered
347 Posts
mine is a completely stock auto and im getting 13mpg half in town and half interstate. and i try to never get rpm's above 2000. We'll see if that changes with my new donaldson filter though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This one has the AIS Ford intake system.

My prior 2001 F350 4WD dually crew cab got 14 with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get around 16-16.5 on the interstate and in town with 38s and a manual trans. When it was stock and had an auto trans i got 19-19.5 highway. All hand calculated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
18,029 Posts
My truck, stock 235/85 tires, 4 inch exhaust, intake and just a tw chip set on econo, 70mph all highway, full tank I got 20 mpg...
Without the chip, I did the same route, same speed, and only got 14.4....

Oh, I have 3.73 gears on mine.

Mods I have now, at 68-70 I keep right under 2k rpms and can get 16.5, but I had leaking up pipes, and drove in my php race tune. I haven't got a good number since I put bellowed up pipes on and went to 35s instead of 33s

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn. I'm loving all y'alls feed back. All are better numbers than I really thought.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was in the same boat in looking at a cummins, but I am a Ford guy for life......I am only getting 13mpg mixed highway and town....I drive very light and only 65mph at 1700-1800 rpm on highway.....I am still trying to figure out how these guys are getting 16-20s for mpg....Please tell me the secret.....my user cp shows all my mods so far......I run fuel additives and take good care of truck, still I have yet to crack 13mpg.....Any advice I am all ears....

Thanks All..

·
Registered
128 Posts
When my truck was stock with 33's i got about 10 mpg, now with my mods and 35's i get about 13-14 mainly backroads and stop and go kinda driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in the same boat in looking at a cummins, but I am a Ford guy for life......I am only getting 13mpg mixed highway and town....I drive very light and only 65mph at 1700-1800 rpm on highway.....I am still trying to figure out how these guys are getting 16-20s for mpg....Please tell me the secret.....my user cp shows all my mods so far......I run fuel additives and take good care of truck, still I have yet to crack 13mpg.....Any advice I am all ears....

Thanks All..

I'm getting 17 mpg amd that's all city. I just bought my 99 extended cab short bed auto. Only mod is I chopped the muffler and made it come out in front of the rear tire. I'm getting hand calculated 17 steady all stop and go.

·
Premium Member
19,904 Posts
My '01 gets 11-12 in the city, 13-16 mixed and 16-18 on the road, not towing. I've got as high as 19, but it was once (55 mph). When I tow my 12K 5er I get 10-11 (55-60mph). See my sig below.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
2000 F-250 CCSRW

Mileage is at 254,645

I get anywhere from 15.5-16.2 mpg average daily driving which is some highway and local roads. I have seem the best mileage at almost 17 mpg around town, and I average 17.5-18 mpg on highway. Now when towing my Keystone Laredo (8,000+lbs) I was getting around 9-10 mpg now that I have the PHP Hydra in the 65hp tow I get 11.8 mpg:D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.