Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading a post the other day that mentioned something I have noticed since I have owned my truck. BONGOS!!!:crazy:

At idle with the trans in neutral, I hear nothing out of the ordinary, unless the oil temps are higher than say 190°F or so.
But when it is warmed up and in gear, with your foot on the brake, I hear it, the dreaded 'bongo drum' noise.
It isn't real loud, pretty faint actually, but it is there.
If it is a rocker, what type of damage am I doing (or have done), since it has been this way since I bought the truck a little over 20K miles ago?
Is this indicative of a failed rocker?
How involved is this? Tear off the valve cover or am I going deeper?

Am I being a hypochondriac?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Hmmmm..... Never heard of this, but if your that concerned with it you can pull the valve covers off and see if anythings up.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Wellll, I am hoping to avoid that since the garage where I work on this thing is 250 miles away. This is my only ride other than the two wheel variety and can't really afford to have it down long term. So if I am tearing into it, things are getting replaced.

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
I have never heard nor noticed anything like that. Maybe tomorrow after I get the engine up to temp, I'll have to remember to try that and let you know if mine makes any "bongo" noises.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will hear it sitting at a red light if the radio is off and there is no other 'in cab' blah blah blah going on.
The truck runs like a top and purrs like a kitten. Nice quiet and smooth.
Ever since I did the BPD install, I have had 0 problems with the engine. Just that I read a post that mentioned that if you hear what could be described as a 'bongo drum' noise, then that would be a lifter problem. Kinda freaked me out when I read that, so I took a ride and sure enough, I can hear it a little.
Oh, and Thank You in advance for the help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Do you have a link to that thread? How many miles on the truck?

Now all of use are going to be driving around with the radio off listening to to the best sound around, the purr of a Powerstroke. That was my favorite station anyway.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I started to hear the same thing after i got my studs put in (3500 miles ago). I think its just me be being paraniod.

I had to replace one exhaust valve, all of the guides, and re- grind all of the valves. I think that the machine shop would have noticed a rocker being bed, if they went through all the valves.

Hopefully this will ease your mind. I certainly feel more comfortable after knowing that you heard the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a link to that thread? How many miles on the truck?

Now all of use are going to be driving around with the radio off listening to to the best sound around, the purr of a Powerstroke. That was my favorite station anyway.
No, I don't, sorry. The link was about someone that had done his own head gasket/studs recently. He had reassembled everything and it was running fine. Someone else dropped into the thread and said something about "be on the lookout for bongo drum sound" as that would mean he did not get the lifter assembly properly installed.
When I read that my heart sank, and I went out the following day and had to drive from NYC back to Massachusetts, then on to the Seacoast of New Hampshire, then return to NYC that night. I didn't hear the noise at any other time than at idle and sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake. Before I read the description of "bongo," I would have said that it sounds like a pump of some sort.
Like I said, the truck is running strong and quiet.
There is one other thing that I HOPE is not related. From day 1 when I installed my boost gauge, when I stand on the "go pedal" the gauge fluctuates so much that it is difficult to read. My fuel pressure gauge did the same thing, always fluctuating.
I had the FP gauge hooked up direct from the top of the fuel filter canister all the way to the cab. Yes, I have a live fuel pressure gauge in the passenger compartment. It no longer works, having shaken itself into oblivion.

104,500 miles. Bought it back last September, wayyy out in Missouri. Got in it and drove it home knowing absolutely 0 about a Powerstroke.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started to hear the same thing after i got my studs put in (3500 miles ago). I think its just me be being paraniod.

I had to replace one exhaust valve, all of the guides, and re- grind all of the valves. I think that the machine shop would have noticed a rocker being bed, if they went through all the valves.

Hopefully this will ease your mind. I certainly feel more comfortable after knowing that you heard the same thing.
Thanks, I hope it is just my paranoid mind. Maybe my inner Powerstroke child needs a hug or something. :rofl:

·
Registered
968 Posts
OK my story. I was calling around looking for a shop that could do some of the work to my 6.0 that I didn’t feel comfortable with. I talked to one guy and after he got done bashing D-MAXs he started on 6.0s and their valve train issues. From what I know the push tubes are very thin and cheap ( $ 11.00 ) . I so when a 6.0 is run at low idle for a long time and wet stacks the valve and it decides not to close properly the piston whacks it and bends a push tube. When a motor gets hydro locked with fuel or coolant 6.0s bend a push tube. When we over rev a 6.0 and float the valves 6.0s bend a push tube. I see a theme here, yep. I also hear that the design with the bridge working 2 valves off of one lifter and push tube is sorta weak and wears easily. I wish there was more discussion of 6.0 valve train issues and performance, but there don’t seam to be many experts on it around. I am glad the push tubes are the weak link I would rather install a bunch of them than have to remove the head for valve work.

After calling around I decided the best guy to work on my PSD was ME . No one will take as much care of your investment as you will.

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
After calling around I decided the best guy to work on my PSD was ME . No one will take as much care of your investment as you will.
I learned that lesson back in January. Truck didn't start, didn't have a clue as to why. Had it towed to the only shop around me that will even touch a 6.0 in a FORD. Mind you I live 3 blocks from an International Truck dealership who will not sell me so much as a bolt.
That shop is on the other side of Queens (about 20 miles away). The supposedly "tested the HPO system" and all they found was a bad ICP. At the time I asked them why they thought it was bad. The tech told me "because the readings were all over the place." To which I asked "how did you know it was the ICP and not what the ICP monitors that was fluctuating?" He looked at me like I had three heads and was from another planet.
Cost me a little over a grand to get a new ICP. Got it home and of course two days later, same no-start. Called up the shop to complain and all they said was, bring it back to us and we will hook it back up to the computer and check it out again. It will only cost you $100 an hour! My response can not be posted here, we are a family oriented forum.
This is how I also learned about the High Pressure Oil System. Nothing like learning through necessity.

As an EDIT: I do not want to become that valvetrain expert the same way.... please :eek:hnoes:

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Ahh, I think I know what you mean by the "bongo" sound now. When I first read this post I was scratching my head over it. I even had to go on youtube and listen to some bongos to try and get an idea of what you were talking about!

The link was about someone that had done his own head gasket/studs recently. He had reassembled everything and it was running fine. Someone else dropped into the thread and said something about "be on the lookout for bongo drum sound" as that would mean he did not get the lifter assembly properly installed.
What I think this is talking about is if you go to install your pushrods and you don't get it seated in the lifter right. I've actually done this when doing a head gasket job. Don't ask me how I did it, the pushrods have to go thru the little hole on the head gasket so they should line up. I'm not sure if the lifter was collapsed and it jumped out or if I just had it c ocked somehow. What will happen is shortly after you get it going it will bend the pushrod and break the rocker arm. The resulting sound is a quite noticable popping noise thru either the intake or exhaust, depending on which rocker broke. Now that I think about it, it would somewhat resemble a bongo.

That being said, I don't think you're hearing anything. This is a very noticable sound. As far the 6.0 valve train I haven't seen to many issues with them. I did have a few Internationals that had rockers break for no apparent reason, but I haven't had a Ford with one yet. And I've seen some lifter bridge and rocker tip wear, but once again it was in International delivery trucks that had alot of miles and crap maintenence. Personally I'd rather have a rocker and pushrod that bend/breaks then something more rigid. Even when I've had rockers break or pushrods bend I've only had to replace the rocker and pushrod and not had any other issues. If you had a more rigid valve train it would either bend the valve or crack the piston. When piston meets valve something has to give......

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Judging by your description, the noise I hear is not that loud. It is rather faint, but noticeable if you know what to listen for.
My wife thinks I am on crack because at stop lights I turn the radio off and listen to the "bag of marbles" under the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Haha! I just got a mental picture of that. Hilarious!

It might just be an injector that's a little louder, or something else, or nothing at all. If you were really having an issue with the rockers somewhere, or even if it was something like a rocker tip came apart, you should start noticing a power issue. If the rocker tip was gone it wouldn't be pushing the valves open as far, therefore that cylinder would not be firing as well and should exhibit a power loss, and log you a cylinder balance fault. If power seems good, and its not missing in any way, I don't think I'd sweat it. Crank that radio up and jam out!

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crank that radio up and jam out!
See? Now you just sound like the wife. :doh:
This is where I say "But I LIKE that sound!" :rofl:

I feel no loss of power, No CEL's, no wrench light... nothing.
I still play with the idiots in the Hondas that have a bigger exhaust tip than I do, and win.

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
This thread has been ALL over the place. I love it. Oh and based on Justin's description, it doesn't sound like there is anything to be worried about. Somebody is being paranoid... :poke

PS. I also love to listen to the sound of my truck. I especially like it when I'm in an underpass and getting on it a little bit and can hear the roar of my MBRP exhaust... :D

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, I wouldn't be so paranoid if everything wasn't out to get me. :hehe:

I am relieved that it is nothing to be overly concerned about, that is for sure. I wasn't looking forward to the chest bruising it would have taken to fix it again. I REALLY need one of those fancy topside creepers. :nod:
<Hope the wife reads this, my B-day is coming up>

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Hey, I wouldn't be so paranoid if everything wasn't out to get me. :hehe:

I am relieved that it is nothing to be overly concerned about, that is for sure. I wasn't looking forward to the chest bruising it would have taken to fix it again. I REALLY need one of those fancy topside creepers. :nod:
<Hope the wife reads this, my B-day is coming up>
LMAO! I wouldn't mind getting one of those topside creepers, too. The chest bruising REALLY sucks especially the day AFTER you have gotten it all done. :doh: I'm still chasing my own gremlin down, so I'm going to pull my EBP and MAP sensors and clean them up real good. We'll see if my demon can't get exorcised today. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, are you too modest to post on your own forum that your having problems with your own ride? Hmmmm? Administration isn't allowed to have engine issues or something?? LOL
I don't recall reading anything about what troubles your having..... OUT with it!
It can start something like:
My name is Shawn, and I have an issue with my 6.0 liter

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
So, are you too modest to post on your own forum that your having problems with your own ride? Hmmmm? Administration isn't allowed to have engine issues or something?? LOL
I don't recall reading anything about what troubles your having..... OUT with it!
It can start something like:
My name is Shawn, and I have an issue with my 6.0 liter
LMAO! No, I didn't start my own thread, but I did chime in to several other threads where folks were having similar issues. Since I haven't been able to do much in the way of testing on it (being out of town), I haven't made much progress. I guess I will start my own thread now... I feel like I have mucked up yours enough. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts