Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone says that to only let a 7.3 see 1250 for a second but what are guys running when pullin a sled?? Theres no way when their lugging it right to the floor all the way down the track that there only seeing 1250? I never had a chance to pull this summer and was just curious

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
1250* can be ran all day long with no problem. 1400-1500* can be ran for 30 seconds or less. Your only pulling for 15seconds tops usually.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright i thought i always seen if you hit 14-1500 it should only be for a second or two then let off but it will take it for that long?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Before I installed a intercooler I've seen 1400* for over 30 minutes pulling a heavy load out of Phoenix on a hot day. Now I never see over 1200*.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I installed a intercooler I've seen 1400* for over 30 minutes pulling a heavy load out of Phoenix on a hot day. Now I never see over 1200*.
holly smokes!! I have an intercooler now to thats going in when my truck goes back together:look:

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
i see 1000 with nuthing behind me. now i was pulling the sled and i seen my egt gage top out at 1600 i heared of guys seeing 2500 pulling

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Alright i thought i always seen if you hit 14-1500 it should only be for a second or two then let off but it will take it for that long?
Yep the trucks fine. It's not straight aluminum in there.. it's an alloy. The melting point is much higher with an alloy. Aside from that, the air is moving so quickly thru the head and over the pistons that it doesn't heat up all that quickly.

Hehe gotta love the powerstroke :D

BTW, I'm looking into buying one of those phoenix convertors that you have in your signature. how do you like it? Its the triple disk billet cover one.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yep the trucks fine. It's not straight aluminum in there.. it's an alloy. The melting point is much higher with an alloy. Aside from that, the air is moving so quickly thru the head and over the pistons that it doesn't heat up all that quickly.

Hehe gotta love the powerstroke :D

BTW, I'm looking into buying one of those phoenix convertors that you have in your signature. how do you like it? Its the triple disk billet cover one.
Plus the oil squirters under the pistons are a big help.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have the heavy duty single disc and it does great. Apparently it is the same one used in ambulances.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^Ah yes, plus the oil squirters.

But the triple disk is like $396 I think... so why the hell not I figured. It's not given you any issues so far? No overheating or anything? Hows the truck drive over stock with it?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nope no issues. I just got done towing over 10k on steep mountain terrain this last weekend. Have absolutely no complaints with trans or converter. When I had the trans built I specified that it had to support 400hp and I was told not a problem.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Ya phoenix said that the triple disc billet cover convertor wouldn't have one issue w/ 400whp. how long have you had it for?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Since last December.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
1600-2000 I have seen on pulls and racing on the highway

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright well all this explains it a little better like i said i havent pulled with my truck yet and didnt know what to expect for numbers or i guess what number to let off at. I guess the 14-1500 for just a sec. was off just a little bit

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
7.3 have oil Squirters for the pistons you can run that motor at 1800deg for a 1/4mi

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats definitely nice to know!! Gives me a different on how hard i can run the truck :eek:hnoes: which i wasnt very easy on it before but i dont have my cooler on yet

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
My setup never was intercooled. In my sig and made close to 700rwhp on 450/400s

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
7.3 have oil Squirters for the pistons you can run that motor at 1800deg for a 1/4mi
Interesting, and certainly good to know.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts