Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what I have gathered so far is my whole under carriage is all black from the oil leak it’s that bad. But when I clean it off I can see it’s coming from the oil pan dipstick but above the oil pan and starter it’s covered in oil as well and one of my valve covers up top has oil puddles. So I just need help pin pointing it or what y’all might suggest because I don’t think the oil dipstick or the seal on the dipstick can make it leak as bad as it is.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So what I have gathered so far is my whole under carriage is all black from the oil leak it’s that bad. But when I clean it off I can see it’s coming from the oil pan dipstick but above the oil pan and starter it’s covered in oil as well and one of my valve covers up top has oil puddles. So I just need help pin pointing it or what y’all might suggest because I don’t think the oil dipstick or the seal on the dipstick can make it leak as bad as it is.
Check the engine valley.

Try this: put something under the truck, rev it to 2000 rpm for 2-3 minutes: wait and watch. Could take 2-3 minutes. I did this to find a turbo pedistal leak

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts

Truck just started doing this or you are the trucks new owner or what caused you to crawl under and look at the truck? Just want to get as much info as possible to help yo avoid just spending money on parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truck just started doing this or you are the trucks new owner or what caused you to crawl under and look at the truck? Just want to get as much info as possible to help yo avoid just spending money on parts.
It wasn’t doing it when I got it about a year ago but starting doing it a few months ago and I noticed it when my whole undercarriage was black and the drive way had a big stain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the engine valley.

Try this: put something under the truck, rev it to 2000 rpm for 2-3 minutes: wait and watch. Could take 2-3 minutes. I did this to find a turbo pedistal leak

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Is the turbo pedistal easy to notice if that’s what is leaking? It’s just hard to tell and once I wash it and drive around and come back if’s hard to track because it’s everywhere.

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Gently clean everything off with a hand spray bottle and simple green abd let it soak for say 30 minutes. Rinse off with a garden hose and let it dry.

stuff done white t shirts/rags by places:

hpop lines
Under fuel bowl
In front of turbo etc

let it run cor say 5 minutes in park and turn it off. See which shirts are oiled up. Remember how you pulled the shirt out to look closely at the spot and see where he leak is coming from.

turbo pedestal o ring
Dipstick tube adapter
Hpop lines and end fittings
There is also a o ring n each plug on each side of the engine below the valve cover on the heads.
Those are the most common for three trucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gently clean everything off with a hand spray bottle and simple green abd let it soak for say 30 minutes. Rinse off with a garden hose and let it dry.

stuff done white t shirts/rags by places:

hpop lines
Under fuel bowl
In front of turbo etc

let it run cor say 5 minutes in park and turn it off. See which shirts are oiled up. Remember how you pulled the shirt out to look closely at the spot and see where he leak is coming from.

turbo pedestal o ring
Dipstick tube adapter
Hpop lines and end fittings
There is also a o ring n each plug on each side of the engine below the valve cover on the heads.
Those are the most common for three trucks
Ok wow that sounds like a lot of dirty shirts

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Its just one method but seeing slowly seeping oil in a brownish pre-oiled engine valley can be hard for most so its one thing some members have tried with success if not you have to clean, clean, clean, and dry and use the oil dye and a black light etc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its just one method but seeing slowly seeping oil in a brownish pre-oiled engine valley can be hard for most so its one thing some members have tried with success if not you have to clean, clean, clean, and dry and use the oil dye and a black light etc
Check HPOP the screw was a o ring that splits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im going to be honest idk what a HPOP is

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
im going to be honest idk what a HPOP is

I would HIGHLY encourage you to review and research some common items. It will HELP YOU so much.

HPOP
IPR
ICP
CPS
HPOP Line
Hpop end fitting

Research those and it will help you get a much better understanding of your truck and things to keep an eye on in the beginning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 7.3 has a caterpillar designed HUEI injection system. So on the bottom on the engine behind the crank is the LPOP-low pressure oil pump. On the top is the HPOP - that is the high pressure oil pump. On the back(towards the engine) is a machine screw and it has an o ring . So if you see oil leaking and flowing from the front of the wninge and moving towards the back. You are leaking oil out of the High Pressure Oil Pump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 7.3 has a caterpillar designed HUEI injection system. So on the bottom on the engine behind the crank is the LPOP-low pressure oil pump. On the top is the HPOP - that is the high pressure oil pump. On the back(towards the engine) is a machine screw and it has an o ring . So if you see oil leaking and flowing from the front of the wninge and moving towards the back. You are leaking oil out of the High Pressure Oil Pump.

That exspensive?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts