Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(1st post)
Tomorrow I am going to look at a 1994 F250, 7.3 IDI (non turbo).
Auto
2 Wheel drive
227,000 Miles
Very little body rust
One decent dent in the box.
Heres part of the ad(copied and pasted)..."20 mpg city.28.highway.storage bins on each side.tires are great.brakes are new.truck runs great.227.000.runs like new.i just changed new fuel pump oil filter. must drive to appreciate.honestly a great work truck"

What do you guys think, things to ask, things to check?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
First off the milage is way off. No way you will get those numbers. Check the SCA's in the coolant with a test strip from an auto parts store, SCA test strips. If the coolant doesnt have any, then it might leave to caviatation in the motor, which is no good. Other than that just the regulars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

SCA's Whats that stand for?

Ive heard about cavitation in the IDIs but never really read or looked into it much.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is that a 4-speed trans (A4OD)? I have a friend that would like the secret to that kinda mileage from a 7.3 IDI!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It stands for "blank coolant additive" dont know what the S stands for. Basically minimizes the risk of cavitation. Look for oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. If there is any, it could be because of caviatation.

What kind of tranny? Make sure fluids are all up to spec. Ask about oil change intervals. If he uses any diesel additive, things like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im pretty sure its the A4OD....Is there an E4OD tranny too? It could have that in there. They both sound familiar.

Thanks for the responses so far.
What kind of fuel mileage do they usually get?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It would be a E4OD if automatic, or ZF-5 speed if manual. Check the oil on the E4OD, if its burnt, they have a bad habbit of going out on you, and they are expensive to rebuild.

I think you could get 15mpg city, and 18-19 mpg hwy. What he posted is so far off its not even funny.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
What's the gearing ratio at the diff? Thats a big factor in mpg's.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It would be possible to get the mileage he claims with a high gear rear end and propane injection and not pressing the skinny down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went ahead and made the purchase!
It drives and runs incredible down the hwy, very smooth and quiet.

I only used the rear tank on the way home and i used half of it. Which was around 180 miles. So the rear tank is 15 gallons?? So 180 miles divided by 7.5 gallons= around 24 mpgs, that was cruisin at 70MPH, with stopping and going for toll booths, restroom stops etc.

The bad-- Small coolant leak coming from the radiator. It was leaking when i first arrived to look at the truck, but wasnt leaking when i checked it on the way home after a toll booth.
Also a fuel line leak, it looks like they tried to repair it with hose clamps and fuel line, just a slow drip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No its all stock.
Pry gets decent MPG due to being 2wd, so its lighter, and the front end sits lower to the ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Possible future plans- Exhaust and air intake work, oil change, coolant change, glow plugs, maybe injectors soon
Find some aluminum ford rims or paint these black.
Remove side tool boxes and put in a regular tool box
Paint the grey grille, and rear bumper black..
2 tone it- the bottom (6" section or so), with spray on bedliner or something of that sort.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I think both tanks should be 16. At least thats what my truck is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts