Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 6.0 wont start after repair!!!!

:icon_ford:Hello all. Im a new member but have been using this awsome site for problems since I bought my truck 6 months ago. Well I dove in and pulled the motor. Did head gaskets and studs ,stc update, stand pipes and dummy plugs, egr delete to. Truck ran good before but was blowing white smoke and lacked a little power due to the egr valve being pluged. Now I have a no start condition. I replaced the ICP ( I broke it tightening it lol) the IPR was taken out and new screen and o rings installed. The old screen had a little debrie on it but no holes, mainly oil deposits. I have 49 volts at the FICM KOEO and 48.3-48.5 cranking. I get no smoke from exhaust so Im sure Im not getting fuel but why when it ran before the work? I am so frustrated.

ON a side note I work on a towboat and am gone 21 days home 9 and I have spent 8 days working on it. I have worked on cars for 25 years and never had one beat me yet but Im at my wits end. I have lost a lot of time I should have spent with my kids instead of on the truck. I would love any help I can get!!! Other wise Ill send it to the dealer witch I dont want to do.

side note two. When I stopped at Orillys to get the ICP it was $238!!!!! and ford was $153! Isnt that backwards????

Oh its a 2005 f 250 4x4 crew cab lariet. Stock had new batteries, injectors and glow plugs 8 months ago. Has fresh oil and filters in it when I did all the work this week.
I do not have a scanner to get any codes. The icp wiring looks good and clean of oil I tried to check volts at the ICP but not sure I was doing it right.

What scanner do you recommend on a bit of a budget? I have an older autoxray but hasnt been updated in a long time so it wont read this truck if at all.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Pull the fuel filter and see if it fills with fuel, make sure your ficm connectors are seated, you need a monitor to read icp pressure. It takes a bit of cranking sometimes to get them fired back up. You should have a battery charger hooked up. Did you fill the oil resevoir under the oil cooler?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel filter area is about half way full when I take the filter out. I hear the fuel pump run. I have cranked it more then the total 2 minutes to prime the HPO system as I have read. Id say total 10 -15 minuets of cranking. Battery charger has been hooked up. I never had the oil cooler out so no havent filled it.

I also did the blue spring upgrade.

What is the proper way to check volts at the ICP? I used a multimeter and thought I read 2.2 cranking but Ive read I shoud see about 0.8 for 500lbs of pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
When you say it takes a little bit, are you saying a second or two? Or longer? That gauge will show you if low pressure (oil) is building and it should happen almost instantly when cramming unless you have a leak. After some major work on my truck, it took 30 seconds of cranking to get that gauge to move, and you could slowly see ICP increasing on the ScangaugeII. The truck fired once ICP passed 500 (as it should), and after driving the truck for a 20 min it starts as good as new. My point being that it sounds like you may have an oil leak and can't build enough pressure.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Anytime you drain the valley where the oil cooler goes, I have been told that you should refill it with some new oil before reassembly. This is said to help start it afterwards. When I changed my oil cooler, I had to have a 1000watt car starter on one battery and our bronco reved up on the other battery for it to even try to crank. After we got the batteries hooked up like about it fired up pretty quick after.

·
Registered
179 Posts
have you tried the balloon test?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I havent replied. Going through a custody battle. I crank for 5-10 seconds no oil pressure. Then I crank again for 5 seconds and it builds up.
I have not had the oil cooler out or apart yet.

I am looking into either buying a scanner like the autoenguity or scangauge II. Or ill take it to the dealer. Ideas?
Which scanner is better? The scan gauge seams to be just like aftermarket gauges+ and the autoenguity seams to be more repair minded.

I am back on the boat for 21 days so now I have to wait to look at it but want to build my info base so I can attack it when I get home.

Thank you all!!! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i got autoenginuity and it does almost everything the ford ids can do! You wont be able to check base oil pressure tho and thats what i would check first with your issue. you can check it at the eot sensor. you can also check icp pressure with a gauge also if you had one that reads up to 2000-3000 psi. Also if you think its your icp system you can air test at the icp sensor. run 12 volts to the ipr connector and should not hear any leaks at all.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I don't think you need to buy anything else for this issue yet. You just need to crank longer than 5-10 seconds. Make sure your batteries are charged and crank for 30 second intervals. Give your starter 30-60 seconds in between to cool down. You'll probably have to do this for a few minutes (in my case it was under 5 min). Don't panic when your truck runs like crap right after it fires up or has another extended start after you shut it down. You'll have to drive the truck for a while to get all of the air out of the system, sometimes up to an hour.

That being said, you really should buy some type of monitoring solution for general use. Keep an eye on your ECT, EOT, battery volts, and FICM power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok im back and working on it. I have the autoenguity with ford enhanced bundle. Still figuring it out but as far as I can tell icp voltage and pressure are about 1.5 volts and 1430 psi cranking. Only codes are egr due to deleting it and p0335 crank sensor. I cleared the codes then tried to start again and same codes came up. Any ideas or what else I should watch with the autoenguity?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I selected the ficm sync but don't see where it will tell me yes or no. It just samples in bits. Still learning the system.

·
Registered
87 Posts
take the water seperator filter on top of the motor and see how fast fuel i rushing in there, should be half way full when u pull filter when u have someone hit the key it will be a pretty strong flow and fill up and over flow in less then 2 seconds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ok fine, the secondary fuel filter.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts