Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lift kit on my 07 when it had like 3k or 4k miles. am dropping the lift very shortly. Can I reuse my factory Ubolts? I was planning on torquing them to spec... which by the way, what is U bolt torque spec? I've reused Ubolts on many 4x4's before... and never had issues. I always torque usually to 100# and then retorque in a few weeks to check.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ford says to change the ubolts, but I know a LOT of people that reuse them without issues. I think you're fairly close on the torque. Maybe one of our good tech's will chime in with the proper torque.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Use new U-bolts. The amount of torq on those bolts could stretch and weaken them. When you remove them you should always replace them with new ones.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
DO NOT REUSE U-BOLTS ....

they are cheap so get new ones ... they stretch and shouldnt be used again

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I have reused u-bolts many times. Sometimes taking them off and putting them back on multiple occasions and not one problem.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might have to put them back for now. B/c I am going to shim the rear pinion angle when the lift is off, b/c even stock I had vibes. So Once I get my Driveline Angles perfected, I will buy new FORD U bolts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ubolts on a 04 F350 recommend 185 lb/ft... I assume that is similiar for most?

:dunno: Not too sure for 07...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW. 185 Lb/Ft of torque. I might try and ask the dealer when I buy the U bolts... let me rephrase that. If he won't give me the torque specs, or print it, or let me see it on the computer/book... I WON'T buy the u bolts from them. That makes more sense. But i'm going to put the truck back to stock and drive it around for a week or 2, let things settle and then check the driveline Angles and see how much shimming if any I need or what the deal is. b/c stock I had vibes, lifted I have vibes.... sucks. and I know currently my pinion angle is off 4-6*. I'm very good at setting up driveline angles, but it's hard when the truck is so dang heavy and big, and you don't have time lately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts