Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strokers:

Just threw on some nice 37"x13.5" TOYO muds. I can feel the hurt they are putting on my tranny. I think gears would help. What gears should I run for long distance runs to the desert and mexico (@ high speeds (65-85))?

Also, any suggestion for other mods aside from gears?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
852 Posts
how much towing do you do on the highway??
I personally went with 4.56's but i think that was to low of geared myself, wishing i went with 4.30's now.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would say go with 4.30. Thats what im planning on doing. I dont tow often so I cant see needing 4.56.

·
Premium Member
6,449 Posts
Strokers:

Just threw on some nice 37"x13.5" TOYO muds. I can feel the hurt they are putting on my tranny. I think gears would help. What gears should I run for long distance runs to the desert and mexico (@ high speeds (65-85))?

Also, any suggestion for other mods aside from gears?

Thanks in advance!
What year are you? I put 4.30s in with my 35s for towing the 5er and shoulda done 4.11s. How bout I buy new 4.11s and you buy my 4.30s? lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
My truck is not a daily driver so I run 4:56 gears and 37 12.50 all terrains. I love setting my cruise control and pulling my trailer up step grades at 65mph and motor is not even working hard. Tyranny runs cool and not a huge drop in fuel mileage.

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
To the OP...do you do a lot of towing? I know it would help in some areas having a bit more gearing, but my 37's on stock 3.73 gears seems perfect. Towed up to about 8-10k with it just fine. Thought about gearing to 4:30's but a buddy of mine has the same size tires and lost 4+mpg when he went to 4.56's from 3.73's. Decided my setup works great. Lol.
-Aaron

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year are you? I put 4.30s in with my 35s for towing the 5er and shoulda done 4.11s. How bout I buy new 4.11s and you buy my 4.30s? lol
HA! I'm an E99... How about I get the 4.11s and let you know how much you should have got them! Hey thanks for the input

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the OP...do you do a lot of towing? I know it would help in some areas having a bit more gearing, but my 37's on stock 3.73 gears seems perfect. Towed up to about 8-10k with it just fine. Thought about gearing to 4:30's but a buddy of mine has the same size tires and lost 4+mpg when he went to 4.56's from 3.73's. Decided my setup works great. Lol.
-Aaron
Aaron-

ya i dont really have many issues with how it pulls on a flat surface or even down hill. i completely agree with you, on surface streets the stock gears do the job. but when i start going up even the slightest of grades i feel like i am just punishing the $hit out of my trans and all other drive components. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Fair enough. I towed through some hills around Columbus, GA and the interstate on the way back. I did have to keep an eye on my EGT's, but my trans stayed cool. I do have some upgrades to the trans though. I don't blame you for wanting lower gears. I still kind of want em, just don't really need them. Just didn't want to have you spend money if you didn't need to. Sounds like you got it pretty well thought out though.
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
4.56 on 37s here, great for towing, and perfect for me since that is why i have a superduty. She dont like going 70+ unloaded very much, probably 80 mph would be max speed and the rpms are up there. for the conditions you described, i would say 4.30s.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
4.30s would be a really good choice, after all is said and done, your speedo should be very close to the readings on a GPS for MPH. This should also put the shifts very close to where they were when the truck had the OEM 3.73 gear/31.5 tire. I have no predictions about MPG, sorry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4.30s would be a really good choice, after all is said and done, your speedo should be very close to the readings on a GPS for MPH. This should also put the shifts very close to where they were when the truck had the OEM 3.73 gear/31.5 tire. I have no predictions about MPG, sorry.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll end up somewhere between 4.11 and 4.30

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4.56 on 37s here, great for towing, and perfect for me since that is why i have a superduty. She dont like going 70+ unloaded very much, probably 80 mph would be max speed and the rpms are up there. for the conditions you described, i would say 4.30s.
BadASS rig jet jock. You hit up Glamis much? Ya it looks like I'll end up somewhere in the ballpark of 4.30's. I'll let you guys know what I end up doin and how it pulls thereafter. Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
BadASS rig jet jock. You hit up Glamis much? Ya it looks like I'll end up somewhere in the ballpark of 4.30's. I'll let you guys know what I end up doin and how it pulls thereafter. Thanks for the advice!
Thanks brother, Im out of vegas, so mostly dumont, hit glamis maybe once every two years. Also go up to Coral pink in UT once a year, but its mostly dumont.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never been to Dumont, but Coral Pink is pretty bad *** i must say. Looks like coral pink in the bottom picture ya?

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Never been to Dumont, but Coral Pink is pretty bad *** i must say. Looks like coral pink in the bottom picture ya?
yessir, The road just to the south, on the way out

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Karls I have seen you post on multiple threads that changing the gears will fix the speedo. Is there something different with the 03's that is different from the 05-07s? Cause I have regeared to 4.30's with my 37s and the speedo is off just the same as it was before.

OP I have the 4.30's and I love it. It feels like as much power as a stock F250. Tows great and gets up and moves great.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
You know...now that you mention it, I never really thought about it, but I always assumed the Speed Sensor was on the transmission as with most vehicles (there is one on the transmission, but not for the speedometer)....but now that you made me think about it, the Speed Sensor for the speedometer is on the ring gear/carrier, which will turn at the same speed regardless of gearing, but WILL change with tire size. The ring gear will turn at the same speed as the axles/tires, so tire size will affect the speedo.

I might have said that gearing would fix the speedo a time or two somewhere along the way too. Thanks for bringing this up.
-Aaron

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Karls I have seen you post on multiple threads that changing the gears will fix the speedo. Is there something different with the 03's that is different from the 05-07s? Cause I have regeared to 4.30's with my 37s and the speedo is off just the same as it was before.

OP I have the 4.30's and I love it. It feels like as much power as a stock F250. Tows great and gets up and moves great.
Are you using a GPS to confirm your speed?

When I say "fix the speedo" a more accurate statement would be "slow the truck down to match the speedo". Without changing the speedo input, regearing would slow the truck down to the same speed it was going with the smaller tire.
2000rpm/31.5 tire/3.73 gear/OD locked converter= 70 mph
2000rpm/36.8 tire/3.73 gear/OD locked converter= 80 mph
2000rpm/36.8 tire/4.30 gear/OD locked converter= 70 mph

I hope that explains it a little more clearly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts