Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving this morning in my way home from work when I floored it to pass a chevy (LOL) anycase as the truck down shifted and my RPMs hit 2500 ish I started to get a noise. Hard to describe but almost metal sounding. Definitely had a rhythm to it almost like an exhaust leak (using that as an example) comes and goes away with the acceleration. Truck doesn't seem to be at a loss of power at all.

This is a 2000 F350 7.3 Automatic with 270000 miles. It dies have a chip, air cleaner, and exhaust.

Any idea where to begin looking. Truck has to be under load to get the sound.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, definitely not the same noise. The other noise seems to just be the diesel kackle present with some of the 7.3. This just started this morning. Truck drives around 200 miles a day. Noise seems to happen only at hard acceleration. I did not hear it with normal driving conditions.

Other then that grinding noise around the 2500 rpm mark the truck dosent show any other problems, for example lack of power, excessive smoke, etc.

Thank you
Andrew Ryan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil was 2 gallons low. It's not leaking but consuming it. Filled it back up. The truck was driven 300 miles or so and it's a gallon low. Not quart, gallon. It's now knocking. Think my 7.3 just **** the bed. I have a few more videos.

Not what I can afford right now. Love the truck but damn... maybe (fingers crossed) it's something easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just posted about this same thing on mine no idea what it is sounds like knock. I’ll post if I figure it out.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Oil was 2 gallons low. It's not leaking but consuming it. Filled it back up. The truck was driven 300 miles or so and it's a gallon low. Not quart, gallon. It's now knocking. Think my 7.3 just **** the bed. I have a few more videos.

Not what I can afford right now. Love the truck but damn... maybe (fingers crossed) it's something easy.
How much blow-by do you have? more than normal?

possible injector orings leaking -- maybe check the fuel filter for black?

interesting sound on the vids
the noise could be a cracked flex plate if auto tranny

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a rattle on mine at 200,000 miles it is the torque converter. Take it to a transmission shop and the will tell you the same thing. It's a common problem. I just kept driving mine until it went completely out. $2,000.00 to rebuild the tranny and a bigger converter.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I had a rattle on mine at 200,000 miles it is the torque converter. Take it to a transmission shop and the will tell you the same thing. It's a common problem. I just kept driving mine until it went completely out. $2,000.00 to rebuild the tranny and a bigger converter.
Nothing in a torque converter that will rattle, but the mounting bolts and flex plate will -- shop just told you that so they could sell you a rebuild

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Over the weekend I replaced the orings on the injectors. I hope it fixes the oil consumption problem. My truck was starting to make a weird almost hollow clunk on startup.*

That seems to have gone away after the injectors and glow plugs.*

However the original noise is still there while accelerating. It goes away if you lift your foot and accelerate again. I noticed the truck dosent seem to make the noise if it's in neutral. But soon as you put it in gear there is a noticeable noise difference by the bell housing... Flex plate maybe?

-Andrew*

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How much blow-by do you have? more than normal?

possible injector orings leaking -- maybe check the fuel filter for black?

interesting sound on the vids
the noise could be a cracked flex plate if auto tranny
I took the oil cap off with the truck idling and put it upside down on the fill. Its barely moving (not bouncing off) with a small amount of white smoke.

Also the truck is blowing white smoke in the AM while cold. Mayb 2 minutes worth. Does not do it at anytime during the rest of the day, just the first start. It has new Motorcraft glow plugs

-Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven’t Figured out the sound yet but gave up trying until I get this transmission installed. Rolling the dice but that life. I also checked for blowby and same as yours rattled off little white smoke, seems normal from all the vids I checked. Have you checks the flex plate? During my research I’ve seen a lot of posts vids of sounds that ended up being the flex plate. I’m changing mine before I install the new transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So ever since I did a glow plug change it smokes like crazy for a few minutes. Figured I would try to jump the terminals on the GPR and see if it was just not warming like its suppose to. Well I found this. Relay terminal actually came right out when I tried to peel back the terminal boot.

Put a new GPR in this morning and the truck started without white smoke

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So... new flex plate and torque converter went in this weekend. The noise is still there. ****ty but atleast those two items are off the to do list for now. 🏼

1 - 19 of 19 Posts