Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! Got kindof a weird problem. I have an '06 6.0 and had the Turbo "rebuilt" by a ford dealership. It had an under boost code and had no boost towing 7K up hill. That was done 2k ago. I don't drive the truck much but when I do I'm towing. Earlier this summer I was towing my trailer(7K lbs) back fron colorado and I had it in Tow mode I tapped the brakes going down hill and the engine decelerated, the trans shifted to a lower gear about 2200rpms and heard a slight rattle noise. I have never heard that noise before, and this was the first time I towed a distance since the turbo was rebuilt. The symptoms are hot weather, after towing about 200 miles, and on deceleration, although I hear it slightly when I will slowly accelerate after the decel. It was making the rattle again this weekend at the same place it occured earlier this summer. I have towed the same weight on shorter trips and it wont make the noise. Any suggestions....Oh and there are no codes just a slight rattle noise.

Thanks.....Pete

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tough one - that could be anything. I couldn't get one bolt back onto a heat shield on the back of my motor and I notice it rattling from time to time. Anything can rattle if it's not bolted down - not saying that's your issue, but it might be worth looking around for any missing bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked all the heat sheilds, bolts, rubber boots. all appear to be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I havn't. I checked for exhaust leaks, turbo pedastel bolts, exhaust sheilds. The only thing I found was a little soot where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head. I dont thing that's it though. One thing I think it may be is that I am in tow/haul mode going down hill, towing 7k pound and the truck downshifts to slow down,and I am building up a lot of back pressure which is causing the noise. I am looking at getting a Banks Turbo back 4" exhaust system which should bring down the back pressure and EGT's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My truck already has a Banks 4in exhaust on it thought that might be the noise because its a tight fit on the back of the motor, checked it removed it and tighten everything up.
The Turbo I removed and checked and cleaned it, didn't help.
Took it to the Dealer they tested the truck and said it was in the Turbo and then removed it, cleaned it and checked it, put back on, noise still there.
Their fix they wanted to do is replace the turbo, inlet pipes.
So the little frog noise is still there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well found out what the little rattle noise was. The Turbo destroyed itself climbing up the pass by MT Shasta California, lucky there was a good diesel repair shop there in town. Truck only has 61000 mi and its the second Turbo.:mad:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My truck already has a Banks 4in exhaust on it thought that might be the noise because its a tight fit on the back of the motor, checked it removed it and tighten everything up.
The Turbo I removed and checked and cleaned it, didn't help.
Took it to the Dealer they tested the truck and said it was in the Turbo and then removed it, cleaned it and checked it, put back on, noise still there.
Their fix they wanted to do is replace the turbo, inlet pipes.
So the little frog noise is still there.

Especially with aftermarket exhaust check under your truck where the downpiple comes underneath and make sure its not rubbing on any suspension parts, my truck is leaf sprung up front and my down pipe was hitting my rear shackle on the passenger side creating a rattle. i clearanced it with a pry bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts