Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I recently purchased a 2005 bullet proofed F250 Powerstroke. She's got 164,000 miles. My family and I drove it from Missouri to Colorado Springs and back a few weeks ago hauling a 29ft bumper pull trailer. She towed with no issues, but when I took the trailer off and drove it the next few days it started to make a loud knocking/rattling noise. My buddy and I pinpointed the noise... it's loudest in the oil pan. We scanned it and found no issues with the FICM, injectors, cylinder, or anything else at all.

Any ideas?!

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I would think if you had a rod bearing out, it would have shown it's self
May want to check the flex plate to see if it is cracked or bolts loose
Really hard to tell what the problem is over the internet -- a vid would help - post to the Tube and make a text link here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We thought flex plate initially, but started to hear and feel it in the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Flex plate -- jiggle the flywheel -- bet there is slack

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Definitely make it go thumpity thump

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Curious how many more of us would have cracks starting on the flexplate of out trusty vehicles - that thin piece of stamped sheet metal takes a lot of abuse

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,584 Posts
Nice help Hydro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it pulled out. If you ever have to do this be careful with the nuts that connect to the torque converter... there isn't much meat on them. Stripped half of them which made the job a bit longer. It was destroyed.

Anyone know how to prevent this from happening again?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also had the drain the ATF. I'm going to get the MERCON SP recommended by Ford, but wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also had the drain the ATF. I'm going to get the MERCON SP recommended by Ford, but wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.
I'm pretty sure SP has been upgraded to LV.
I'm running valvoline max life multi vehicle atf. It was available in gallon jugs from Walmart fairly cheap and meets the requirements of the transmission.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,584 Posts
SP is still available

1 - 13 of 13 Posts