Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a different Ford Superduty forum, and everyone was bashing the stock Rancho shocks. I have a brand new 2014 with them, did most of you guys swap them out ? If so what did you get? Bilsteins 5100 seemed pretty popular by the guys on that site.

Did your stockers quit? How did you know it ?

I looked on &bay and there were some new takeoff Rancho factory sets for sale for 150$ for all 4.

Must be junk?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 13 f250 fx4. The shocks aren't that bad. I personally like the way they ride. I'm not changing them out till they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
We beat the tar out of the Rancho shocks at work at they can take it. Im actually thinking of going right back to Ranchos on my 05.

·
Registered
198 Posts
See my thread in the general discussion.

In a nut shell, the ranchos are branded junk. Mine completely wore out at 40k, zero rebound. Replaced the rears with 5100s, and it's a night and day difference.

1,627 Posts
im also looking to replace mine with the 5100s i have the stock "ranchos"..horrible

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are junk. I just replaced the front springs and all four shocks with PP Prodigys. Wow, if you want you truck to ride similar to a GM I would suggest doing this. My OEM shocks with 12K miles on them would'nt even rebound after compressing on the shop floor after removal. I'm pretty sure they are'nt supposed to act that way.

·
Northwest Stroker
212 Posts
They are junk. I just replaced the front springs and all four shocks with PP Prodigys. Wow, if you want you truck to ride similar to a GM I would suggest doing this. My OEM shocks with 12K miles on them would'nt even rebound after compressing on the shop floor after removal. I'm pretty sure they are'nt supposed to act that way.
Your springs were wore out also, or might as well replacement?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
How do you tell if your shocks are bad? I'd love to ease my ride a little bit, but would hate to buy shocks and the ones I have are still good...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im waiting on my 14 F450 to get here in 10 days and it has a FX4 package as well. hoping the shocks are not crap. anyone know anything with the F450s and those ranchos? i had the "rancho" shocks on my 04 F350 and they were great never any issues and had a great ride.

·
Registered
410 Posts
These aren't the ranchos your thinking about from a suspension company. They are more like a cheap monroe shock from autozone with a rancho sticker on them in my opinion

Brett

·
Registered
380 Posts
By the way I just received 4 5100's. I put the rear ones on this past weekend and will probably put the fronts on this weekend. Truck had 46k miles on it and the rear shocks had ZERO rebound. I compressed them and left them like that over night. They were in the same position the next morning.

·
Registered
100 Posts
By the way I just received 4 5100's. I put the rear ones on this past weekend and will probably put the fronts on this weekend. Truck had 46k miles on it and the rear shocks had ZERO rebound. I compressed them and left them like that over night. They were in the same position the next morning.

Did you notice an honest difference or barely?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Haha mine were shot after 7k miles! There just Junk to be Honest. Not sure about the ones that come on the F-450's but I see no reason why not to think there just as bad.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
From what I understand, the FX4 Ranchos are actually made by Motorcraft and Ford paid Rancho's parent company, Monroe, some money to use the Rancho name. I've always wondered since the FX4 Ranchos don't match up with any other Rancho shock you can buy.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
From what I understand, the FX4 Ranchos are actually made by Motorcraft and Ford paid Rancho's parent company, Monroe, some money to use the Rancho name. I've always wondered since the FX4 Ranchos don't match up with any other Rancho shock you can buy.
I'm not doubting you but since I don't know who makes them, I'm going to dissagree. The stock shocks on my other superduties all lasted at least 50k+ miles where as the Ranchos only made it to 7k miles. Whoever makes them, Ford should take the time and read the Forums, maybe they would know how many superduty owners dislike these shocks. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm not doubting you but since I don't know who makes them, I'm going to dissagree. The stock shocks on my other superduties all lasted at least 50k+ miles where as the Ranchos only made it to 7k miles. Whoever makes them, Ford should take the time and read the Forums, maybe they would know how many superduty owners dislike these shocks. Just my .02 cents.
What are you disagreeing with? I wonder if the FX4 Rancho shocks have a Motorcraft part # on them... hmmm...

As a side note, one shouldn't disagree out of ignorance. When I looked this up awhile ago, what I said previously was what I found, of course from the internet. But you could always just call Rancho and ask them directly if you want to be sure that I am wrong. Rancho Extreme Team, 734-384-7804 M-F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST. Ask for Adam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts