Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03' F-350 with the 6.0 L. For the last few days the truck at low RPM has been running ruff and seems to have little power til you rap it up to above1.5. Going down the road when it kicks into high gear it was really notisable.

Now today after sitting all night and most of the day it wont start. The guage is at 1/4 tank and checked the top fuel filter res and it is full of fuel. I held down the peddle and it wanted to start but died right away.

I dont know if these 2 things could be related but I could use some suggestions before I call the tow truck.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
You should scan the truck first to see if you have any codes. Its a good place to start:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no scanner :( guess that will be on my to get list once I figure what its going to cost me to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
could be several things , could be fuel pressure ,even though the housing is full, definitly get codes pulled , waste of time to diag without codes to work with, on a 6.0 could be alot of things , from high pressure oil system, icp sensor, stuck ipr, hung open egr valve , like said before fuel pressure , bad oil, start with the basics , make sure oil is full and in good shape, check fuel pressure , you can loosen the cap on the upper filter just enough so when you turn the key on, fuel will spray out , just a quick check without a gauge on it ,need to get a scanner on it after that , as far as pushing the pedal down while cranking , with it being fly by wire , wont make any difference to pump the pedal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a place where I can rent a code reader but to late to get it tonight. I'll get it in the morning and check back with the code readings. I just went out to try it one more time and its starting then shutting down right away just like it did earlier today. if I turn the key offf then on again and wait for the glow light to go off it did it again. started and shut down.

I'll check back tomorrow with the codes I get.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok time for an update. Put the code reader on it this morning. NO CODES GRRRRRR!

Replaced the fuel filters and drained the water seperation filter. Filters look good.

Pulled the top filter off again after turning it over for a while and there was a lot of preasure and the res had filled up so Im not thinking Im out of fuel.

While turning it over it chuggs (nice tec term ;) ) while trying to start and I get gray smoke form the exaust.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a Actron OBD II Super AutoScanner -CP9145 which in the instructions said it would read with engine off and key on.

I already returned it but can go pick it up again if I possibly did the scan wrong.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Not familiar with the actron scanners. Does it say it will scan ford powerstokes?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think the Actron is the same scanner that AutoZone uses and it won't scan the PowerStrokes...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it is the one from Auto Zone. I couldnt find anywhwere else that rented a scanner on a Sunday. According to the Auto Zone guys (inteligance levels in question ;) ) That reader only gives you a code if the check engine light comes on which it never did while running. I read the book while there and it says nothing as to if it scans a powerstroke or not. Looks like Im stuck going to the dealer.

Anyone have a suggestion of what scanner to get that is affordable after paying the dealer for this fix if its not a warrenty issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Got it started today while waiting for the tow truck. It would only run above 1500 rpm's if I let it go to idle it died right away.

Stopped by on my way home to get a few things out of it for tomorrow and found they so far are replacing one injector. Lets see ifthats all it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts