Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an AFE CAI (have the torque tube but have not yet installed). Companies, like APM, are starting to field ram air hoods that connect to the factory air box (new lid) and incorporate a high flow filter.

My questions: 1) Which is noramlly better (ram air or CAI) and why
2) Has anyone run the ram air or both with the 6.4L? Which is better and why.

Thanks

-Wags

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I currently have an AFE CAI (have the torque tube but have not yet installed). Companies, like APM, are starting to field ram air hoods that connect to the factory air box (new lid) and incorporate a high flow filter.

My questions: 1) Which is noramlly better (ram air or CAI) and why
2) Has anyone run the ram air or both with the 6.4L? Which is better and why.

Thanks

-Wags
Well it all depends on what you use your truck for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly fun. I don't tow anything above my Polaris or bass boat on a regular basis. I'm giving you guys who know better more time to experiment then (around Christmas) I'm going to start playing (DPF delete, Spartan tune, Banks dual exhausts, level kit, 35" tires, bull bar w/ off road lights). I've always liked the look of a ram air / cowl hood but am trying to decide if I want a functional one or one just for show. Drive around any Marine Corps base and you'll see trucks are all about bad a** attitudes.

I've got an FX4, Crew Cab.

BTW-I've been watching your truck's progress with much interest. Any advice you've got, I'm all ears. Thanks Julian.

-Wags

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Mostly fun. I don't tow anything above my Polaris or bass boat on a regular basis. I'm giving you guys who know better more time to experiment then (around Christmas) I'm going to start playing (DPF delete, Spartan tune, Banks dual exhausts, level kit, 35" tires, bull bar w/ off road lights). I've always liked the look of a ram air / cowl hood but am trying to decide if I want a functional one or one just for show. Drive around any Marine Corps base and you'll see trucks are all about bad a** attitudes.

I've got an FX4, Crew Cab.

BTW-I've been watching your truck's progress with much interest. Any advice you've got, I'm all ears. Thanks Julian.

-Wags
Well your right, you can't deny the badazz look of a nice ram-air hood. The reason I ask what you use the truck for is because if you only use the truck for around town, sled pullin, off-road or any other non-highway speed use, I think you would benefit better from a CAI because you don't have the whole air "ramming" the hood........but if you do a lot of highway driving I say go with the ram air......now I don't facts or graphs or anything like that back this up, its just my take on it :nod:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Personally, I like Air Induction......Ram Air is Not as aerodynamic and functional as Induction.....As far as hoods go.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
.now I don't facts or graphs or anything like that back this up, its just my take on it :nod:

Come on.....you serious? Your telling me that you did not drive in circles and get some good hard facts on whats better?

BTW is a powder puff better than a corn puff? ANd can you prove it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts