Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I dont know the history of my transmission what type of fluid would you recommend ?

How bad would it be if I mixed the two unknowingly?

Oreillys computer said Mercon LV but I thought it was Mercon V.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mercon LV. Should probably change the filter too

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,526 Posts
It is NOT Mercon V.

I get the Mercon SP, but LV works also. Even the Valvoline MaxLife has proven to work.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Ford has gone back and forth a couple times on this, but i'm with @bismic and use Mercon SP.

-jokester

·
Administrator
29,098 Posts
Ford never went back to SP for the 5r110 but they did revert for a few other applications and that's why they never phased it out like intended

but they did not suggest mixing SP and LV right away then they came around to approving

a lot of guys use the Valvoline High Mileage SV/LV fluid (it is not a Mercon approved fluid just Valvoline suggested replacement )

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
They are back to recommending LV again but the SP has treated me good for 15 years so I'm going to continue to use it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You're not supposed to mix them though

·
Administrator
29,098 Posts
our service interval is a lot less with the SP than with transmissions that had LV as the original fill

you have to wonder if any of that is fluid related ? or all the filter type ?

·
5,526 Posts
Personally I believe it is the 100% filtration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my tranny pan has a drain plug in it so Im going to just drain that out for now and refill it.

Approximately how much fluid will I need?

·
5,526 Posts
So my tranny pan has a drain plug in it so Im going to just drain that out for now and refill it.

Approximately how much fluid will I need?
8 qts

I do a series of 3-4 drain and refills every 30k miles (I drive it enough to get the fluid hot and have enough time to mix in between each drain and re-fill). It has been good for 215k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts