Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 F350 7.3L

Hard to see exactly what is going on, but I have a steady drip drip drip of rad fluid coming from the seal just behind the bottom most pulley, which I assume is the crank. It drips right from where the bottom pan meets the upper in a circular arc. Following the wetness up, I can see it up to about the midpoint of the crank pulley on the drivers side. Hard to see anything above that point from below. Looking down from the top I can see the water pump and the hoses and everything looks dry.

Can anyone tell where to go from here, and/or what I'm looking at?

I'll try and post a pic looking straight up from below at the crank pulley.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. No wiggle in the fan at all - very solid.

So is it not possible for coolant to be leaking from below? That would be great - I was a little apprehensive about opening that area up. A water pump I could probably deal with.

The fan shroud looks to be one piece. If I could get it off it would be a lot easier to see what's going on. What is involved with taking that off? Other vehicle's I've done had two part shrouds you could take off with the fan in place, this one looks like that wouldn't be possible.

Thanks again for the help.

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts
That pulley in your pic is your crankshaft pulley. Above that is your water pump pulley. Attatched to your water pump pulley is your fan/ clutch assembly. In order to take your shroud off you need to take your fan off with it. The reason i know this is because i just pulled mine off yesterday. Im assuming you mean red fluid in your post. That might be your fan clutch fluid which is silicone. In order to take the shroud and fan off you need a strap wrench to hold your water pump pulley and a wrench to loosen the big nut.Then all that will come off in one shot.A buddy of mine has a 97 and i have an 02. Same set up just newer.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. What's leaking is rad fluid, and I guess it's coming from somewhere higher up around the bottom of the water pump and I just can't see it. I'm taking of the fan and shroud today.

I found an excellent fan clutch wrench set at Kragen in their rent/buy kits (Powerbuilt Kit #34 Model#648746). For the water pump shaft it has 3 1/4 and 58mm wrenches and for the fan clutch it has 1 7/8in, 1 9/16in and 36mm wrenches so it looks like it will fit most Fords at least. Typical Kragen quality - not great but ok for backyard mechanics but at $6/day or $54 to buy it's a good deal. Now I'll be able to yank that sucker off in a jiffy whenever I need to work in there just to get the crap out of the way.

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts
Lucky you!! I bought fan clutch wrenches at advance for 16 bucks and they didnt fit. So being the impatient guy that i am i used a pipe wrench. Luckily it broke loose with no scratches on anything.Im installing a fluidampr so if you are planning on getting one, now would be the time!! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky you!! I bought fan clutch wrenches at advance for 16 bucks and they didnt fit. So being the impatient guy that i am i used a pipe wrench. Luckily it broke loose with no scratches on anything.Im installing a fluidampr so if you are planning on getting one, now would be the time!! Good luck!
Aha, I'm with you there. The first thing I bought at my local Kragen was the Ford Fan Clutch tool, which I found out later is way too small and doesn't fit the 6.9 or the 7.3. I still have to take that one back. Had to go to a store in the city that did the tool rentals to find the right one. Last time I did this, I cut a slot in flat bar stock from the hardware store and it worked ok. No idea how you got a pipe wrench in there.

what is fluidampr?

·
Registered
71 Posts
another problem i have seen is the top hose leaking, it drips down two ways, one is the crank. It is a easy look to see if there is moisture

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally got the fan and shroud off. Had a little trouble with the Kragen tool - my calipers say the nut was 1.875 (1 7/8) and the Kragen tool was 2.05. Rounded off the nut instead of getting it. So I had to pony up for the real tool for $92. Now I can see in there and I've traced the leak back up to the base of the water pump. I guess I'll pull the pump and see what's going on. I wonder how to tell if it's just the gasket or new pump time?

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts
Aha, I'm with you there. The first thing I bought at my local Kragen was the Ford Fan Clutch tool, which I found out later is way too small and doesn't fit the 6.9 or the 7.3. I still have to take that one back. Had to go to a store in the city that did the tool rentals to find the right one. Last time I did this, I cut a slot in flat bar stock from the hardware store and it worked ok. No idea how you got a pipe wrench in there.

what is fluidampr?

If you do a thread search for fluidampr there are some good things about it. also Xtreme Diesel Performance - XDP Diesel Performance Parts has some more info on it. I just put mine on and it feels like a totally different truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got the fan and shroud off. Had a little trouble with the Kragen tool - my calipers say the nut was 1.875 (1 7/8) and the Kragen tool was 2.05. Rounded off the nut instead of getting it. So I had to pony up for the real tool for $92. Now I can see in there and I've traced the leak back up to the base of the water pump. I guess I'll pull the pump and see what's going on. I wonder how to tell if it's just the gasket or new pump time?
Finally found it. Leaking right around the water pump shaft behind the pulley. Wish I'd known enough at the start to just run my finger along the shaft behind the pulley - that's probably where it leaks 95% of the time and I would have know in 5 seconds without taking anything apart.

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts
Finally found it. Leaking right around the water pump shaft behind the pulley. Wish I'd known enough at the start to just run my finger along the shaft behind the pulley - that's probably where it leaks 95% of the time and I would have know in 5 seconds without taking anything apart.
Thats awesome. All that stuff would have had to come off anyways though!

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please explain. I run a fluidampr and didn't notice anything really different.
I don't really know much about this, but I read some of the pages linked to. I think the basic idea is that since every detonation produces a vibration, the damper can smooth this out. The stock damper is rubber and works at a specific frequency that is the worst natural resonance for the motor. The fluid damper works across a much wider range of frequencies. Changing the motor - pistons, more hp etc. can cause changes in the resonant frequency. So you probably won't get a big improvement with the stock engine, but if you have made lots of mods, the fluidampr can make a big difference.

At least that's how I understood it, but I'm no expert.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
If you do a thread search for fluidampr there are some good things about it. also Xtreme Diesel Performance - XDP Diesel Performance Parts has some more info on it. I just put mine on and it feels like a totally different truck.
I don't really know much about this, but I read some of the pages linked to. I think the basic idea is that since every detonation produces a vibration, the damper can smooth this out. The stock damper is rubber and works at a specific frequency that is the worst natural resonance for the motor. The fluid damper works across a much wider range of frequencies. Changing the motor - pistons, more hp etc. can cause changes in the resonant frequency. So you probably won't get a big improvement with the stock engine, but if you have made lots of mods, the fluidampr can make a big difference.

That's why I want to know what difference it made on his truck. Maybe something was wrong with his old balancer? As far as mods... heh.

My list is way too long.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts

Yeah....what he said!! Before i installed my fluidampr my truck vibrated a bit at idle speeds. After installing it my truck now idles a bit quieter and much more smoother. The fluidampr is filled with a gel i believe, so its much better a reducing vibes throughout all ranges.

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts
That's why I want to know what difference it made on his truck. Maybe something was wrong with his old balancer? As far as mods... heh.

My list is way too long.
It just made it feel smoother and a little more quieter. As for mods I have a Banks power elbow to 4 inch exhaust all the way back.(no muffler) AFE stage 2, 6 gun, level 4 chip, transcommand, compressor wheel with actuator, pyro, trans, and temp gauge, and a fluidampr. As far as i could tell my stock balancer LOOKED fine. I also have 115000 miles on my truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts