1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
This is what I was quoted on my 6.0 problem. Can anyone help me in finding the best price on parts on the net? Where would you go to buy on the net?
Thanks !

And how do any of you feel about the quotes I was giving to accomplish my 6.0 problems? Labor verses the parts quote? reasonable?

http://home.mchsi.com/~hunting_veritas/parts.jpg
Those prices are insane! What problems are you having?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
$105 to install programmer AND egr delete? That seems cheap to me. Like, too cheap. What kind of kit?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Wow, that's quite a list.

Not sure what issues you're having, but there's a lot going on there.

First, I'm not sure what they mean by the "turbo inlet VGT part". I can see taking the turbo apart and cleaning it, but there charging you for some part and labor on that?

Second, most EGR delete kits are going to run you about $150-$300, and most chips are around $400 bucks. Not sure what chip your getting, and they must be getting you an gold plated EGR delete kit at those prices......

The HPOP is a little high on price, but not horrible for most shop markups. The labor for doing something like that should be 8 hours max, really it takes around 3-4. Doing an EGR delete and HPOP at the same time should help on the labor though. Not sure what their labor rates are so it's hard to say.

I could do an EGR delete, head gaskets and head studs, oil cooler, and a chip for less then that though.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Wow, that's quite a list.

Not sure what issues you're having, but there's a lot going on there.

First, I'm not sure what they mean by the "turbo inlet VGT part". I can see taking the turbo apart and cleaning it, but there charging you for some part and labor on that?

Second, most EGR delete kits are going to run you about $150-$300, and most chips are around $400 bucks. Not sure what chip your getting, and they must be getting you an gold plated EGR delete kit at those prices......

The HPOP is a little high on price, but not horrible for most shop markups. The labor for doing something like that should be 8 hours max, really it takes around 3-4. Doing an EGR delete and HPOP at the same time should help on the labor though. Not sure what their labor rates are so it's hard to say.

I could do an EGR delete, head gaskets and head studs, oil cooler, and a chip for less then that though.
Ya, ridiculous price on the kit, but cheaper than dirt for labor. Like wtf? Um sir, you should prob get help on here and then find a different shop. Those prices are all over the place.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
It's hard to tell because they want to do so much at once. I'm sure the quote doesn't really break it down right. Because if they are going to pull everything to get to the HPOP then installing an EGR delete wouldn't be much more labor to do.

Either way, it seems quite high, and they seem to want to do a lot at once. But since we don't know what issues you're having I really can't say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok here is what the deal is.

My father just bought the trk with 110,000 miles and towed a 5th wheel trailer to Texas and back to the midwest.

He said it towed great. He had a stroke a few wks latter. The trk sat for like a month. I got into it and it took the diesel to get up to temperature before it ran normal.

It sat for another 2 wks and same thing. I took it out on thehighway and it just died. took it to a shop and they put in new HPOP and ICP and IPR.

I got it back and the trk would not have any power until engine got up to temperature.

It latter started running like it was on high idle then started running rough.

Took it to the dealership here and replaced the IPR and said the ICP was not tight. Also said I had turbo codes and egr codes. Also said that was some metal shavings in the IPR and was directly from the Injection pump.

So, I paid the $3500 to get it out until I can come up with the $5000 they want now to correct all the issues.

It seems to run fine and I can start it up and drive it without it being up to engine temperature. But worried about driving it to much because of the Injection pump/ metal shaving from it. Creating the same problems withthe IPR ICP.

I am new to diesels.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ok here is what the deal is.

My father just bought the trk with 110,000 miles and towed a 5th wheel trailer to Texas and back to the midwest.

He said it towed great. He had a stroke a few wks latter. The trk sat for like a month. I got into it and it took the diesel to get up to temperature before it ran normal.

It sat for another 2 wks and same thing. I took it out on thehighway and it just died. took it to a shop and they put in new HPOP and ICP and IPR.

I got it back and the trk would not have any power until engine got up to temperature.

It latter started running like it was on high idle then started running rough.

Took it to the dealership here and replaced the IPR and said the ICP was not tight. Also said I had turbo codes and egr codes. Also said that was some metal shavings in the IPR and was directly from the Injection pump.

So, I paid the $3500 to get it out until I can come up with the $5000 they want now to correct all the issues.
Wow. Just curious, wheres your location?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I would probably be looking more at FICM/injector issues then anything else they quoted. It probably died on you do to an IPR issue, but if it's running fine once it warms up then that points more to FICM/injector problems. I think I'd be looking for a second opinion......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i thought it was because of the FICM from what I have been reading . But they said nothing about that and just replaced 4 injectors and IPR.

Runs better now then it did when I got the HPOP replaced.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just throwin this out there. My old boss had an 04 excursion with an edge programmer which was probably 4 years old. We would be driving it 80mph on the freeway, and the truck would suddenly cut off. We had to pull over and restart it. Or it would start violently shaking. I guess his programmer was so old and needed to be updated from what I was told. Not sure if you currently have a programmer, but just throwing it out there. I think justinmixs is probably right about the FICM or injectors though.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I would probably be looking more at FICM/injector issues then anything else they quoted. It probably died on you do to an IPR issue, but if it's running fine once it warms up then that points more to FICM/injector problems. I think I'd be looking for a second opinion......
:agree: 100%.

To the OP, an FICM will cause hard start issues and make one run like trash. I think they are messing around because they don't have a clue how to work on the 6.0 which unfortunately happens a lot. Mechanics start working on these things expecting it to be like anything else they've worked on and quickly find out different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, it is possible for metal shavings to come from the injection pump to the IPR ot ICP? Scary.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Yes i thought it was because of the FICM from what I have been reading . But they said nothing about that and just replaced 4 injectors and IPR.

Most of the time when there are multiple injector codes, it is caused by a faulty FICM and not the injectors themselves. I'd say whoever worked on it pulled the codes, seen injector fault codes or low voltage codes and started throwing parts.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts

I'm confused. So you've already had a HPOP replaced? Have they already done the work to it?!

A FICM issue will make it run like it has bad injectors. New injectors will work better off lower voltage so it might run better with 4 new ones, but they might be treating the symptoms instead of fixing the cause if you know what I mean.

Either way, sounds like they're just throwing parts at it. Still confused on what you've had done or what it's doing.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm confused. So you've already had a HPOP replaced? Have they already done the work to it?!

A FICM issue will make it run like it has bad injectors. New injectors will work better off lower voltage so it might run better with 4 new ones, but they might be treating the symptoms instead of fixing the cause if you know what I mean.

Either way, sounds like they're just throwing parts at it. Still confused on what you've had done or what it's doing.......

Yes I had the HPOP put in a few months ago. After it just died on the hwyway.
But it never ran right when I got it back. It took the engine to get up to temperature before running like a graped ape.

I am thinking this is what was causing the egr and turbo issues this time.
Yes, there was no engine light when i took it in and he tighten the ICP up and then got some codes stating it was running on 3 cylinders. He wanted to replace all the injectors. I got the impression as well they were just tryn to replace things as he was going down the list of possible things.

this was a a ford dealership.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Yes I had the HPOP put in a few months ago. After it just died on the hwyway.
But it never ran right when I got it back. It took the engine to get up to temperature before running like a graped ape.

I am thinking this is what was causing the egr and turbo issues this time.
Yes, there was no engine light when i took it in and he tighten the ICP up and then got some codes stating it was running on 3 cylinders. He wanted to replace all the injectors. I got the impression as well they were just tryn to replace things as he was going down the list of possible things.

this was a a ford dealership.
Just because it's a dealership doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I've been to plenty of dealerships that supposedly had a "diesel tech" and it ends up being a guy that they've just gotten out of school. Not saying that the younger guys don't know their stuff but more times than not the customer suffers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts