Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my truck I thought it was really quiet. however, I find as my tires are wearing down, road noise is increasing to the point it's fatiguing on long trips.

I don't want to go to the extreme and dynamat the entire cabin.

I have a long-wheel base, so I'd 'think' most of the noise is therefore coming from the front tires.

I saw the door seal mod, but it's not clear it reduced road noise based on some earlier posts.

Does the back cab wall transmit much noise?

Any of you have suggestions where the biggest bang for the buck would be to seal out / dampen road noise?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm hoping to dynomat in the next few months the entire interior, including floors and also going to do the underhood. Hoping to quiet her down a bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking around $1000-$1200. Dynamat is not cheap!

·
Registered
137 Posts
My pickup is a 6 speed. I took off the shift boot and put extra foam between the trans and body. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is that just for the Dynamat (with you doing the install) or is that a complete price including install?
Figure on needing around 144 square feet of dynamat extreme. You can find it on-line in a megapack for $285 for 72 square plus shipping. I figured on a total of $600 more or less. From what I've read it would take about 6-8 hours to do the entire interior and I figure on any shop charging $50/hr. I say take the 8 hours at $50/hr and you have $400 for a grand total of $1000. I'm hoping that is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If y'all had only 30sqft of dynamat to work with, where would you put it? Is the floor the noisiest contributor?

The doors seem to be pretty quiet, but I notice I can hear raindrops strike something near the B pillars at freeway speeds. They seem hollow. Not sure if noise is coming up through those...

The air vents on the rear wall of my F150 let in tons of noise. The F350 seems to baffle it a bit with the insulation overlapping the vents.

·
Registered
255 Posts
could try dynamat or fatmat on the backwall first, I notice when my back seats are folded down, I hear alot more road noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
could try dynamat or fatmat on the backwall first, I notice when my back seats are folded down, I hear alot more road noise.
The rear wall air vents in my F150 let in a huge amount of noise. If I plugged them with a rag, it's much quieter, but my ears pop everytime I slam the door.

I haven't played with them in my 350 yet. Not sure what's a better way of covering them while letting air pass through without some thick layer of carpet or something.

·
IBEW Journeyman Lineman
772 Posts
I've always heard and read that covering up those vents in the back of the cab isn't good to do. If in an accident your ear drums could get blown out. I got a good deal on some sound deadening material and put it on the back wall of my supercab with a 7.3 all the way down to the floor under the rear seat. Also put it in the front doors and under the carpet over the transmission hump. It helped alot and plan to do it on the rest of my vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts