Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I may be going against the grain here but... I installed a 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust with the cat delete pipe last weekend, and I can bairly hear the engine over the turbo whistle. I have read that the 03 turbos were a lot louder than the 04/05's. does any one know of a way to quiet down the whistle from the turbo? If not will an 04/05 be a direct bolt on?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Do you have the muffler installed?

A newer 04-07 turbo will bolt in either by changing the intake manifold also or... doing some minor cutting of the turbo bolt ears:look:
^ That is TOTALLY not what I did when I put an 05 turbo in my 03 truck:look:

:rofl: it WORKS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I tried it both the way MBRP says to install it and I also tried to flip it around. With it backwards the engine sound sounded a lot better but it also made the whistle worse.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Yes, I tried it both the way MBRP says to install it and I also tried to flip it around. With it backwards the engine sound sounded a lot better but it also made the whistle worse.

:lol:

sorry that was funny:D
That didn't help you!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can have my 05 Turbo for the 03 :)

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yea i think only way to quite down your turbo whistle and keep exhuast is to trade someone that has a newer turbo. i'm sure if you posted up wanting to trade you would have more people than you want to deal with trying to get your turbo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yea mine sounds something close to that but i think mine is louder. i can't say anything to attempt to get you to comprehend how loud it is. sounds like a damn f16

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is definitely more noticeable than my whine. I have an '03 turbo on an early '04 but my exhaust is just a simple muffler delete.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm in the same boat, mine is louder than the video. It was a little quieter before I did the egr cooler delete. Thought about putting a resonator on it but may just live with it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
wow that would be so annoying..

Jason
Annoying....no...more like freaking awesome. Can't wait to drive around campus and see everyone freak out. It's bad enough seeing people turn around ad look when my truck does a "turbo fart" kids are gonna think a fighter jet is about to land on University Dr. lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
758 Posts
Buy my 06 turbo that's in great shape. That will make it quieter. Then re sell your 03 turbo an make a few hundred bucks on it. Honestly it would pay you back for your exhaust and be quieter than the 03.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll do an even trade. No money involved :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I will trade my 2005 turbo that has been rebuild by Ford 7000 miles ago for a 2003 turbo.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lol i was gonna sell him a good turbo for $150 and then he could probably get 4 or 500 for his 03 if its in good shape, he would probably make money.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lol i was gonna sell him a good turbo for $150 and then he could probably get 4 or 500 for his 03 if its in good shape, he would probably make money.

Ah so true. Damn!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts