Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved my WW last night from Raul and have been going over instructions on the install including the video posted here too and I had a few questions.

Well I'm not planning to take off the turbo cause it seems like a bunch of work that way. The instructions I read all say I need to take off the Y-pipe, but on the video it looked like the Y-pipe was still connected. So do I HAVE to take off Y-pipe for the install?

Second, the instructions all say that I need to take off the downpipe so I can reach the exhaust wheel and put a padded screwdriver in between the blades so I can get the compressor wheel without spinning the other side. In the video it wasn't clarified ( I don't think) what was done to hold down the exhuast wheel. So my next question is, do I HAVE to take off the downpipe?

And if I don't how do I get a hold of the exhuast wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and thanks Raul for the speedy delivery! HE IS THE MAN!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had those questions too.

:popcorn2:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Been dumping my money in other places since I dont drive the beast much so I kinda pushed those questions out of my mind for now....... I was lookig at a WW today when I placed an order at dieselsite. I did not order it yet tho.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You have to remove the Y pipe to remove the compressor housing. SO yes the Y has to go. You have to remove or move the down pipe to jab a screw driver in the exhaust wheel to hold it, so yes it needs to move.

It is really not hard to pull the turbo. once you have done everything to get it to that point, all you have to do is unbolt the babys butt and the two bolts on the top of the turbo... and your out. Now you can do it nice and easy rather then cussin and getting poked with the hood latch...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to remove the Y pipe to remove the compressor housing. SO yes the Y has to go. You have to remove or move the down pipe to jab a screw driver in the exhaust wheel to hold it, so yes it needs to move.

It is really not hard to pull the turbo. once you have done everything to get it to that point, all you have to do is unbolt the babys butt and the two bolts on the top of the turbo... and your out. Now you can do it nice and easy rather then cussin and getting poked with the hood latch...
Thanks for the answers :thumb:

Something tells me you had a bad experience installing one? lol

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
No... I have installed 3 or 4 for people... Used to preach doing it with the turbo in the truck... But after pulling turbos alot I relized it is SOO easy to get the turbo out, to just do it.

Gives you a chance to check the up pipes, clean the valley, and just look everything over good.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've been looking at those instructions too. Just basically gathered a bunch from all the vendors and been reviewing them, looking for the easiest way to do it.

One of the instructions said the install was going to take 4-9 hours!! :crazy:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Wife did hers... Took right at 4 hours with her pulling the turbo. 100% by herself.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife did hers... Took right at 4 hours with her pulling the turbo. 100% by herself.
I doubt my GF could locate the turbo in 4 hours :p

Hope she doesn't read this

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I doubt my GF could locate the turbo in 4 hours :p

Hope she doesn't read this
My chick knows because I trained her! She even knows the subie rumble and I am starting to train her on the sound of a Cummins vs a powerstroke. She is a fast learner!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My chick knows because I trained her! She even knows the subie rumble and I am starting to train her on the sound of a Cummins vs a powerstroke. She is a fast learner!
Lol that's awesome. When I did the foil delete mod, I was showing her how loud the turbo was. After it spooled down, she said "is it still going?"....Apparently there was a little hiss from the stereo from when my iPod FM transmitter is off and she thought that was the whislte! :doh::hehe:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Did mine in the truck. 1-2 hrs. You do not have to take the DP off if you leave the turbo in the truck. If you are using an air rachet, pulse it a few times and it will overcome the turbine side of it without having to jam a screwdriver in it.

I do agree with CSIPSD though, removing the turbo is the best way to do it, for the reason he stated. Get a good look at everything, clean it all up, etc...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have installed the WW in 2 pickups and I love the spool up time, stock my spool-up was at 2000RPM and now my spool-up is at about 1700RPM, but you should be aware that the WW will cause higher EGT's by about 2-300deg F more and it will take your turbo longer to cool down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts