Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 with '05 headlights with the 00 to 05 harness adapter...
I'm finally gonna order some hid's ...am I ordering for a 00 or a 05? I'm guessing 05 and the harness will plug into the hid box and the 05 fitment hid bulb will go into the 05 headlight? Is all that correct? Sorry if it sounds dumb just wanted to double check before I ordered..

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have to buy for an 05. Your fitment is completely different at this point. Do you it wont regret it

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think I'm going to go this route on my '01. The high beams have alway been about useless on my truck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea sorry I'm not buying a different set of housings..
Bulbs for 05 but harness for 00 makes sence but I don't think most companies will mix and match a kit...
Is there any harm in plugging the 05 hid kit into the 05 end of my harness adapter and the 05 bulbs into 05 headlights?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Bulbs for 05 but harness for 00 makes sence but I don't think most companies will mix and match a kit...
Is there any harm in plugging the 05 hid kit into the 05 end of my harness adapter and the 05 bulbs into 05 headlights?
I have always seen the relay harness seperate and never in the box so I think they can math it up how u want.

Sent from my fone. :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
No, you can do that too since you already have the harness to go from the 2000 to the H13 2005 it sounds like. That is what i did since I had a kit out of my old Ram that used the same style bulbs as the 2005, H13. Just plugged it all in, works fine.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
There are plenty of vehicles with OEM HIDs that DO NOT use projectors.
Technically that is true, there are several vehicles that come with OEM HID's that are not housed in projectors, however it uses a specially designed reflector housing that is meant to house HIDs. This does not create the super sharp cut off that projectors do, but it does control where the light is emitted.

HID kits are ILLEGAL due to the amount of glare they cause.
Glare= light that is emitted in a uncontrollable path.
When light is traveling in a uncontrollable path it will hit other vehicle operators affecting there vision thus making the road more dangerous than it already is. Have you ever turned a flashlight "on" right in front of your face in the dark? That is what illegally installed HID's look like to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
HID kits are ILLEGAL due to the amount of glare they cause.
Glare= light that is emitted in a uncontrollable path.
When light is traveling in a uncontrollable path it will hit other vehicle operators affecting there vision thus making the road more dangerous than it already is. Have you ever turned a flashlight "on" right in front of your face in the dark? That is what illegally installed HID's look like to oncoming traffic.[/QUOTE]
Thats kind of a blanket statement isn't it? Can you post the code state by state?

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Thats kind of a blanket statement isn't it? Can you post the code state by state?
Im not going to search through all 50 state statutes just to make you happy. If you are worried about it you can look in your respective states codes for more information.

However here is a link to the NTHSA Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Code of Federal Regulations Title 49, Volume 5, parts 400-999.

FMVSS No. 108 Full Text

Here is a quick synopsis of the link:
Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set to meet the standard’s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source, so the replacement lamps could not be sold for this purpose. Furthermore, a headlamp dealer or motor vehicle repair business could not remove the original halogen headlamps and install HID replacement headlamps without violating 49 U.S.C. 30122. That section prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and motor vehicle repair businesses from making inoperative equipment installed in accordance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard.
As a general rule of thumb, pretty much any modification that has anything to do with safety or emissions is illegal ie: seat belts, lighting, airbags, traction control, exhausts, etc.

Technically even a retro-fit like the one I posted is illegal as well. However, if your not blinding everyone on the road you are not going to get pulled over for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts