Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it looks like I'm going to get a 6.0 soon and wondering what the average cost of an egr delete and also does it vary from state to state, I've heard around $200-300 for the kit alone and a total cost including labor of around $1500, does that sound like the market price or to high. Second question is what else should I do along with an egr delete like head studs oil cooler and all that good stuff. What are the main fixes you can do to get the 6.0 reliable or "bullet proofed". Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
A delete is not hard to do on your own if you have any mechanical ability, save yourself a lot of money buy a kit and do it with the help of everyone here. I still have my EGR Cooler although I did change it to the BPD one.

youtube is a wonderful thing

Reactions: mikeb01453

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If you have any way to get the cooler welded, that's a pretty good delete. And it keeps you looking stock. You may need a tuner to shut off the CEL after the delete.

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world

Reactions: jmeaby

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you delete the egr yourself

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Not yet :poke:

I'm not one to dive in and fix things that aren't broken. When the time comes, yes I will delete myself

Sent from one of the worst apps in the world

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I agree with nordstrom, just check into your states emissions rules and regs before deleting because if you have an opacity test you may or may not pass. I also have a BPD egr cooler upgrade because i live in Mass....

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Don't buy those kits, as previously mentioned, unless you are absolutely 100% POSITIVE it comes with a FORD oil cooler. In fact, those kits will actually cost more in the long run than buying the pieces separate.

I self-installed a BPD oil cooling system with the Cold weather package along with an EGR delete. I have been working on my own cars since I got my license more than (eeeek) 35 years ago.

You can also have your existing egr cooler welded so that it appears to be functioning. I strongly suggest welding both ends of it, if you choose to go this route. Keep in mind that should you have a late 04-07 engine, your up-pipe that connects the EGR cooler to the exhaust system will have a scoop in it that will cause a restriction. You can replace this with an early 2004 up-pipe that will fit the square egr cooler, and does not have the scoop. If you are interested in going that route, I will go dig up the part number.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My brother and I both have hammered freeze plugs into the ends of our egr coolers both ends that way nothing is getting in or out between the 2 of us about 30k miles no problems at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts