Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,
Im obviously new to this site and even newer to the powerstroke. Yall don't get too excited, this excursion is just for my wife. We're picking the 04 6.0 up this week and I was curious after lurking on your boards here for a while, and had a few questions:

-I don't see many of you with Tranny mods, how much power can you add to the TQ shift before you start seeing problems? I want this to remain a reliable daily driver for my wife, whats the word on that?

-SCT X3 right? Seems like thats the business, but will I benefit from a custom tune with a stock trans, and how much could I add without hurting the motor or trans?

-MBRP 4" suitable?

-Is a cold air intake worth it on the 6.0, or would I do just as good doing the Zoodad mod and throwing in a drop in K&N or Fram?

My plan is to start out with a 4"MBRP (Is the cat even required in TX, I dont have it on my 04 dodge?), SX3, zoodad mod, and a drop in. What do yall think about this setup, and how much power do you think Im looking at adding realistically?

Also will this be a reliable set of mods, and will this have any possible effects on my stock trans?

-Also, do you need a longer exhaust for the excursion???

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Very reliable mod set for that rig. The stock torqshift when tuned properly will hold 500rwhp. SCT with custom tunes is the way to go:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what type of custom tunes do they offer or should I ask for? What type of hp program can I run...like how much hp without tearing anything up?

Also what about the cold air intake or should I do the zoo dad with a drop in?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Stock intake also will support 500rwhp. Just do the zoodad. As to custom tuning. Look to some of the site vendors here. I run tunes from Innovative diesel, Cale at BTS and Tony Wildman:thumb:

With a good custom tune you could dyno 400-430 rwhp on stock components

·
Registered
75 Posts
You have a good plan. Don't need a cold air intake, maybe put a drop in filter to save on the cost of stock filters. I personally would not use K&N. Lots of selection for tunes, like others have said, Innovative, BTS, Cale, Gogo, etc. Run good quality engine oil and service the trans regularly. If you plan to tow with it, there are some other upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is the 6.0 a pretty reliable motor in comparison to say a 7.3 or a 5.9 cummins? I have a 5.9 and its rock solid? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect from the Excursion?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
6.0 is very reliable. Especially if you delete the EGR

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
What is the EGR? Im not familar with it as Im a cummins guy, and we don't have it that Im aware of.
If your cummins is a common rail you do

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Exhaust gas recirculation. Its emmisions crap.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There are things that need to be adressed if you plan to run it hard. As mentioned go with a egr delete, plan for studs (you may never need them... I haven't yet) the stock airbox and filter are by far the best and will prevent turbo dusting. With a exaust and tuner (sct xcal2, xcal3 or equivilent) you will pretty much be pushing all the hp you can with out tunng the ficm. After that you will need fuel, turbo and injector upgrades. After sticks and such then look for a new filter system. The stock filter is pricey but is suppost to last 100k.... I run a 150+hp tune daily and the throttle response is great and to date (over a year of running the tunes) I have not head gasket issues. This might not be true on every truck but it is a common occurance despite popular myth. Since you are a diesel guy you will know that the gauges are important and for the 6.0 in stock form it is a good idea to monitor egt, engine oil temp, engine coolant temp and fuel pressure. With those item watched I feel you would know of just about any issue that could be arising.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL...I went to school in Lubbock and seems Im the same age you are...1979.

Anyway, thank you guys for the info. Sounds like good advice given. Im at this point not looking to go all out with this one, just most of the way LOL! I've already gone too far with the Dodge. Heck if I would'ev known how much less you have to do to get this kind of power I might have gone Ford in the first place.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 6.0 is pretty quick with a tuner and exaust some have seen 13 second territory. and ford did it better on the 6.4 as they are closing down the 12's and looking twards 11's on a stock truck with a tuner and exaust only.

·
Registered
268 Posts
from what i have learned from the ford fact program, reading on this form, and talking to ford techs is the 6.0l has trouble handling customer abuse, such as short trip driving, lack of oil changes causes the oil to sludge and case the injector spool valves to stick. the short trip driving also cause egr gasses to gum up turbos vanes and the egr valve itself. i don't know how many times i would try to pull out in traffic and have something not move right and have the truck fall on its face. that was before the tuner and egr plug. don't be afraid to put it to the floor every once and awhile and clear it out. 6.0l head gasket problems are commonly miss diagnosed (on stock trucks) for a cracked egr cooler or oil cooler. ford tech where just replacing oil coolers, egr coolers, and doing head gaskets all at once to fix the problem b/c they didn't know witch one it was. when you start pushing 400hp you are greatly increasing cylinder pressures and that can cause head gasket problems. something to remember is that there is hundreds of modifications form 03 to 04 and 04 to 05 and 05 to 06 buy the time they got to 07 the 6.0l is a very reliable engine, and do to the fact that it gets way better mpg than a 6.4l the 6.0l used car prices are equal to that of a lower mileage 6.4l. is the 6.0l as reliable as your 5.9l no but the 6.0l hasn't been around for 20 years.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If your cummins is a common rail you do
Dave, I don't think so. 03-04 cr's have no EGR of any type that I'm aware. 04.5+ have a third injection event that may qualify as an in-cylinder EGR. It sure dirties the oil real quick. 6.7l have an EGR as you know it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I know that the 04.5 and newer have a third injection event. This was to clean up emissions and reduce noise. That is why there is a difference in fuel economy between an 02-04 and an 04.5 and newer. As far as it being an in-cylinder EGR... I doubt that. You are using the most amount of air possible, regardless of how many injection events there are, and it is still only one stroke. EGR systems route exhaust gas back into the cylinder bank directly in an attempt to burn any unburt fuel in the exhaust. The third injection event in the 04.5 and newer is not reburning exhaust gas, but since the three events are smaller it may create a more efficient burn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well my wife decided against the excursion, so I guess Im out on the Ford knowledge!

The 04 305/555 CR cummings does not have an EGR. Mine is free of emissions garbage!

Thanks for the info though guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts