Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed it while towing trailer. Feels like it might be over boosting and going into safe mode, but not sure so thought i would ask. The boost goes to around 25 psi when first going up a hill. It doesnt stay at that unless i give it more throttle, other wise it drops slowly once it hits 25ish. I believe that is caused by a boost leak, probably up pipes just don't see any soot. The problem is when i really put my foot into it going up hill the truck will all of a sudden lose all power. About 2 seconds later it all comes back and everything is normal. Just wondering if i need a boost fooler? of if it is something else causing the problem. I always thought with a DP-Tuner you shouldn't need a boost fooler. The tunes are pretty recent, 3 months ago. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i towed my trailer this weekend and took my AE scanner with me. The turbo is not the problem there was a code for p1211 ICP higher/ lower than desired (engine running). So towed with ICP levels and duty cycle on scanner, the ICP levels would be around 2200 - 2400 in OD going 70 MPH up hill, But the duty cycle would start to climb up from 45% to 90%. As duty cycle climbed so did the ICP hitting sometimes 3900 psi. then truck would just lose all power. Also on way home when shifting from OD to 3rd the ICP would spike causing loss of power for a few seconds. I would let off throttle and wait a few sec. then would come back to normal. Also when this happened on the way home check engine light came on and the code now was p0470 exhaust pressure sensor. Any thoughts please!

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Turn off OD when towing in hilly country. That could be part of your problem. Remove your tunes and try again. That could be another part. I know you probably got the tunes to aid with towing, but if you have tunes and experience a problem, the first thing you should do is remove the tunes and see if you can duplicate.

There's a good how-to in the tech files section to tell you how to clean the EBP sensor. I don't know if a dirty one throws a code or not, but the process should take less than an hour, and it's free.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points with tunes I just figured truck has almost 300k miles and the hpop is 15* and might be tired. I normally drive in OD until i feel like it is struggling. The exhaust gases were under 1250* but maybe thats still to much of a push for the truck?
As far as the ebp sensor the tube was replaced 3 months ago and sensor looked pretty clean. I thought could the wastegate cause to much back pressure if it is not working properly? The ebp valve closes clean but maybe not be opening fully? Could any of this cause my issues? I noticed when I was driving down a long, fairly steep hill that I needed to apply the throttle to keep it at 70Mph. Didn't think that was normal. Felt like engine was slowing me down. Didn't think diesels acted like that but maybe Im wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.