Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new to the site. I just recently sold my '05 duramax with built tranny, efi, fass lift pump, 9" cognito, with 20's and 37's due to a financial hardship and purchased a 2006 F250 4x4 lariat with 187,xxx miles. I picked it up from a local ford mechanic fairly cheap. Well when i test drove the truck it was already up to operating temp so it didn't appear to have any problems. Here it is on day two I have a semi hard start in the morning after letting it sit over night and a miss for the first mile or two driving 65 MPH or about 10 miles of driving in the city. Called the mechanic and he told me that it recently started after filling up with offroad diesel from a country store and that it was just a little water in the fuel. I'm not so sure I believe him. ANYWAYS... It is due for a oil change so tomorrow I am going to change the oil to valvoline premium blue 5w40 with a MC filter, upper fuel filter, and water seperator. However I have a few questions. My first question is: will I have any problems or need to flush the system since the truck has only had MotorCraft 15w40 it's entire life? Secondly, I am going to order some Rev-x tommorrow can I just add it when it comes in or do I need to make sure that I deduct the 8 oz from the total amount of oil I add? And lastly can I run Diesel Kleen to take out any water that may be in the fuel in conjunction with the Rev-x?

Thank you for any future guidance.
Jonathan

·
Registered
568 Posts
Once you add fuel additive, it will let the water mix in your fuel and make it combustible, once you run it fully, drain your fuel pump on the chassis and put a new filter in it, it will not have any water in it then

Now since you said it was a new truck, check the ficm, make sure it doesn't drop below 46v during the injector buzz test, cranking and running. If it does, replace it and that might solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
*48V
sounds like stiction to me. RevX should help.
But checking the FICM and injectors is highly recommended

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
It does not make water combustible

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you add fuel additive, it will let the water mix in your fuel and make it combustible, once you run it fully, drain your fuel pump on the chassis and put a new filter in it, it will not have any water in it then

Now since you said it was a new truck, check the ficm, make sure it doesn't drop below 46v during the injector buzz test, cranking and running. If it does, replace it and that might solve your problem.
I am illiterate to working on my own trucks, but I am trying to learn. Mainly because all of my friends with 6.0's say it is almost manditory to learn to work on them yourslf if you own one. Is there a thread I could read that explains how to test your FICM. I have read about them dropping below 48v and it will act as if the injectors are going bad. If it needs to be replaced would you all recomend replacing it with a OEM one from Ford or would you upgrade it with one from bulletproof?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
a dying FICM can also take injectors with it. easiest way to test is to read the voltage from your monitor(insight cts, etc)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
a dying FICM can also take injectors with it. easiest way to test is to read the voltage from your monitor(insight cts, etc)
Load test batteries, google ficm check procedure. I suspect this has nothing to do with bad fuel. If you had water in your fuel your water in fuel light would come on, more than likely. That mechanic is jerkin your chain. Make sure you have motorcraft filters and caps. You dont need to do anything special with the oil change, dump the old put in the new. You should invest in a monitor like edge insight cts. Read all the stickies.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,619 Posts

Fuel additives come in EMULSIFERS and DEMULSIFIERS. One will make water miscible and CAN pass through the primary fuel filter more easily. This is not good. Ford ONLY recommends demuslifiers. They make the water more immiscible so the water can be more easily removed by the primary filter.

OP -

+1 on gauges, Edge Insight CTS or a ScanGaugeII (which is much cheaper but not nearly as fancy).

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Water in your fuel will not clear up after the truck warms up. Your problem could be FICM related or stiction. The Rev-X and oil should fix that if the injectors aren't too far gone. If it is FICM related also have your batteries and alternator checked. If you need a FICM the best replacement is the BPD half shell. A cheaper solution is to send your FICM to Ed at ficmrepair dot com and have him repair yours.

There is a procedure for checking FICM voltage in the 6.0 Tech Files section.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Water in your fuel will not clear up after the truck warms up. Your problem could be FICM related or stiction. The Rev-X and oil should fix that if the injectors aren't too far gone. If it is FICM related also have your batteries and alternator checked. If you need a FICM the best replacement is the BPD half shell. A cheaper solution is to send your FICM to Ed at ficmrepair dot com and have him repair yours.

There is a procedure for checking FICM voltage in the 6.0 Tech Files section.
Thanks I found the write up on checking the FICM. I pray that rev-x and oil will clear up the problem. But I am going to check everything over today. Does anyone see any problems with using 5w40 full synthetic in lower alabama? The temps outside have been 60's at night and high 80's low 90's during the day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nevermind it appears I am :bdh: with that last question. I just found where people in florida are running it year around. Thanks for all the help guys. It's been a while since I have been on a forum. So bear with me lol. The search option will become my friend. That way I don't have to keep bothering yall with dumb questions!

Thanks and God Bless
Jon

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 5w40 is fine.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I would say the majority of 6.0 owners use T6 for every oil change

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Nevermind it appears I am :bdh: with that last question. I just found where people in florida are running it year around. Thanks for all the help guys. It's been a while since I have been on a forum. So bear with me lol. The search option will become my friend. That way I don't have to keep bothering yall with dumb questions!

Thanks and God Bless
Jon
No bother. Google works much better imo. Ask anything.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Something to remember;

Ambient temperature means nothing to any vehichle with an oil to coolant cooler unless you are working/towing it hard. The coolant regulates the oil temp, as long as everything is in good working order.

Since we here are talking the 6.0 this means oil cooler isn't clogged with debris, and if it were there are several other critical engine parts that can fail, and if that catostrophic chain of events does take place oil choice isn't going mean a whole lot one way or the other.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well tonight we added a small amount of diesel in the oil and pounded the truck for 40 miles, then changed the oil to rotella T6, mc oil filter, drained the bottom of my fuel tank, fueled up and added diesel kleen, changed the fuel filters, tore the fuel pump down and cleaned it (had trash all in it), gauged the temps for the oil cooler (were only 8-9 degrees apart), and checked the ficm (tested normal). Just the work we did tonight has really helped alot! The truck idle smoother and more quiet, the striction was almost completely gone, cold start was far quicker and easier. Overall i am very pleased. Hopefully after i get another thirty miles on the oil it will run even better! I can't wait till Friday to add the rev-x.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts