Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my truck is an early 99 F250 4x4. I have the 4" factory block. I am running 35s. I found a deal on a new Skyjacker soft ride 6" lift kit that has springs front and rear. It's new and has never been installed. It has the brackets for the track bar. The problem is that it is for a 2001 F250 gas truck. My truck has the 7.3 diesel. So my questions are.
1. Can I use this lift if I get the correct u bolts for the front?
2. Because my truck is diesel and the kit is for gas is it going to sag real bad?
3. If I take the factory lift blocks out will the back sit lower than the front?
4. Do I need a dropped pitman arm?
5. Are the factory brake lines long enough?

Thanks for any insight you guys have.

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
You'll need a drop pitman arm. People told me that my stock brake lines were long enough but I ended up having to buy extended brake lines :nod: Not sure on your other questions...

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
the springs wont be heavy enough for the diesel

·
Registered
219 Posts
yea the diesel is much heavier its 999lbs dry if i remember correctly so springs for a gasser will suffer

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much are e talking a far as sag. THis lift kit is free to me for the most part. But if it's going to sag real bad or be dangerous I don't want to do it.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Free? DO IT! So it sags, so what? It's likely to level the truck, if it sags, then it's just back to the stock front-lower bias, which I personally prefer. I leveled my red truck just for tire clearance issues, and want to lift the rear to match it, as it is now, it sits level empty, and the rear sags bad when it has any load at all, and I tow alot...

As long as it has an adjustable track bar, you will be able to compensate for the sag as it happens, and the heavy motor will make it ride smoother, I would think.

I wouldn't recomend buying one for the gasser truck and using it with a diesel, but if you don't have much invested in it, why not do it?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
If your gunna go to all the trouble of lifting your truck do it right...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
If you decide to not use it, I'd buy it from you, for a 'reasonable' price, concidering what you might have in it... and where it is located!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
yea the diesel is much heavier its 999lbs dry if i remember correctly so springs for a gasser will suffer
And around 1200lbs wet.... twice as much as a gasser.

If your gunna go to all the trouble of lifting your truck do it right...
Exactly. Dont waste your time and worry about ****ty quality of lower weight springs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 if your going to do it, do it right. Idk for sure but you might break those front springs, they were not designed to carry the 7.3

·
Registered
105 Posts
And what if that gasser had a plow? I don't see it being a problem. I wouldn't hesitate putting it on.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
unless it drove around all the time with a plow attached it's not quite the same...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I called Skyjacker and talked to them about it. They said the gas kits have a spring rate of about 250 pounds less than the Diesel. They said the worst case is that it would sit about 1/2 inch lower in the front. That was only for the soft ride kit. Skyjacker said I was good to go. No safety issues or anything like that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Im pretty sure the diesel has a curb weight of 8880lbs and the gasser has a curb weight of 4400lbs, so your doubling the load on that suspension. I wouldn't recommend it, but it being free I can see how it could be tempting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im pretty sure the diesel has a curb weight of 8880lbs and the gasser has a curb weight of 4400lbs, so your doubling the load on that suspension. I wouldn't recommend it, but it being free I can see how it could be tempting.
There is no way that there is 4000+ pounds of parts on a diesel truck that are not on a gas truck.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I agree, my ol' man's '82 chevy 3/4 ton is 5600 lbs... the only diffrence in weight will be the motor it's self, most of the rest of the parts are the same.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Usually diesels have bigger alternators, diffs, xfer cases, batteries, intercoolers, beefier (ie heavier) suspension components, etc. The motor alone weighs right around 1250lbs wet... I can easily see a few batteries and other listed things adding some additional weight up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts